Mar 22, 2013, 4:32 PM EST
Darren Helm isn’t the flashiest player in the NHL, but Red Wings coach Mike Babcock sure misses him.
Babcock went so far today as to call 26-year-old Helm — who had nine goals in 68 games last season — “a top-four forward” on his team.
The coach must have been referring to Helm’s defensive play. Or maybe it was his work in the faceoff circle. Or his willingness to throw the body around. Or his speed.
Still suffering from back pain, Helm has only suited up once for Detroit this season. He’s not on the four-game road trip, which starts tonight in Anaheim, and there’s still no timetable for his return.
“He’s rehabbing,” general manager Ken Holland said, per the Detroit Free Press. “His feeling is that he spent a lot of time on the plane the last time going to Western Canada. He felt great going out there, but five hours on the plane back, his back seized up. We’ll see how he is early in the week. I mean, obviously if he feels great we can always get him out, but to fly out here five hours and then fly five hours back next week – he didn’t want to put his back through that again.
“Obviously, it’s a setback.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 148
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 117
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (148)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (117)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)