Mar 22, 2013, 4:32 PM EDT
Darren Helm isn’t the flashiest player in the NHL, but Red Wings coach Mike Babcock sure misses him.
Babcock went so far today as to call 26-year-old Helm — who had nine goals in 68 games last season — “a top-four forward” on his team.
The coach must have been referring to Helm’s defensive play. Or maybe it was his work in the faceoff circle. Or his willingness to throw the body around. Or his speed.
Still suffering from back pain, Helm has only suited up once for Detroit this season. He’s not on the four-game road trip, which starts tonight in Anaheim, and there’s still no timetable for his return.
“He’s rehabbing,” general manager Ken Holland said, per the Detroit Free Press. “His feeling is that he spent a lot of time on the plane the last time going to Western Canada. He felt great going out there, but five hours on the plane back, his back seized up. We’ll see how he is early in the week. I mean, obviously if he feels great we can always get him out, but to fly out here five hours and then fly five hours back next week – he didn’t want to put his back through that again.
“Obviously, it’s a setback.”
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 1
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 28
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)