Mar 22, 2013, 11:46 PM EDT
After an outcry from fans and media toward the National Hockey League for not suspending New York Rangers forward Rick Nash for a controversial hit on Tomas Kopecky, the league’s Department of Player Safety responded.
The league released a video explanation for why Nash was not suspended for a high hit on the Florida Panthers’ forward on Thursday.
It was stated during the video explanation that: “Although we do not think this was a legal hit, we also believe it does not rise to the level of supplemental discipline.”
It was also stated that Kopecky turned his back “just prior to Nash making contact, which contributes to the impact of the hit.”
The department deemed that Nash did not target Kopecky’s head and that it was not the principal point of contact.
Earlier in the day, the league’s disciplinarian, Brendan Shanahan, called the Nash hit “rotten” but that it was not enough for a suspension.
The Canucks released a statement Friday evening, saying the club did not agree with the league’s decision, but would not comment further.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
But that’s no longer the case.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
“You guys when you’re asking me these questions, you guys want to be negative more than me.”
Apr 1, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT
After posting three straight 20-goal seasons.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
As most expected.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
Has it been 12 weeks already?
Apr 1, 2015, 11:51 AM EDT
Currently playing for the Kingston Frontenacs.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
Sounds like Ty Rattie is on his way up from the AHL.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Apr 1, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
New York’s first-round pick in 2012 will reportedly join AHL Hartford.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT
Vancouver forward was given a five-minute interference major on the play.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Caps Radio 24/7 provides “a sense of community among our fan base, with players and fans alike contributing to its content.”
Apr 1, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Understatement: the odds are against both teams.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:37 AM EDT
Philly’s beaten its local rival six times in a row.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:36 AM EDT
Also: Alex Ovechkin’s peerless goal-scoring work and other links.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:41 AM EDT
Could the Vancouver forward be facing further discipline from the league?
Apr 1, 2015, 1:17 AM EDT
Tampa Bay is in a battle for the Atlantic Division.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:40 AM EDT
No call on that play.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
That’s big for Ottawa.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
This was an eventful game.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Could supplemental discipline be on the way?
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 27
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 20
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22