Mar 22, 2013, 12:11 AM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes just returned from a brutal 0-3-1 road trip in which they were shut out three times in a row. The last thing they need is to lose their workhorse goalie upon their return to the desert.
Edler received a five-minute charging major but not a game misconduct for that check. Smith played the rest of the second period but was replaced by Jason LaBarbera in the third.
Smith suffered a collision earlier in the contest when Daniel Sedin crashed into his net. The 30-year-old netminder missed a week of action in late January with a lower-body injury.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4