Mar 22, 2013, 4:31 PM EST
No. 1 UMass-Lowell Riverhawks vs. No. 4 Providence Friars – 5:00 p.m. ET
UML won season series 2-1-0
It’s been a special year so far for UMass-Lowell, but if they want to avenge losing the Hockey East title last year, they’ll have to get through a hot Providence team first. This match-up is all about freshman goaltending. For UML, it’s Connor Hellebuyck who took the job from junior incumbent Doug Carr. Hellebuyck earned honors as the conference’s top goalie and a spot on the conference rookie team. When you put up a 1.44 GAA and stop shots at a .944 pace, you’re going to win some awards.
The same can be said of Calgary Flames prospect and Team USA WJC gold medalist netminder Jon Gillies. He also earned a spot on the conference rookie team and put up some flashy numbers of his own (2.08 GAA, .931 SV%). Where he’s hurt is he doesn’t have the same kind of offensive support Hellebuyck does. PC’s has three players with over 20 points this season while UML has two 30+ point guys and five others with 20 or more. If the Friars are going to make the finals, they’re going to need Gillies to stand on his head and hope they can sneak a few past Hellebuyck themselves.
No. 2 Boston College Eagles vs. No. 3 Boston University Terriers – 8:00 p.m. ET
BC won season series 2-1-0
These two rivals have seen enough of each other in the past, but both have a lot to play for here. BC would love nothing more than to send Jack Parker into retirement without a berth in the NCAA tournament. Should BU lose tonight, they’re likely out of the NCAAs.
The Eagles will have to do it without their own legendary coach, Jerry York, behind the bench as he’s still recovering from surgery. Luckily for them they’ve got Hockey East player of the year and Calgary Flames prospect Johnny Gaudreau as well as defensive defenseman of the year Patrick Wey to take charge. When you add in Walter Brown Award winner Steven Whitney and fellow big scorer Pat Mullane, a beaten down BU defense will have their hands full.
All that said, BU still comes in with a solid squad and one motivated by trying to take Coach Parker out on top. Freshman Danny O’Regan (San Jose) leads the way in points while senior Wade Megan (Florida) and junior Matt Nieto (San Jose) can fill the net with goals. BU is going to need their defense to stand up huge if they’re going to take home a conference title, however, and that’s one aspect of their game that’s had trouble. If they let BC get their chances, it could be a long, tough night for BU.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:16 AM EST
His shutout streak is now at 172:22.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Nino Niederreiter combined skill and good fortune to help his team win.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
Making room for Andrej Sekera.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:30 PM EST
Nice work from Craig Smith and Nino Niederreiter, respectively.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
The possibilities are extensive, it seems.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:55 PM EST
Giving up precious points.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:52 PM EST
Two goals on eight shots was enough to inspire a change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:37 PM EST
He doesn’t regret signing with Toronto, though he’s welcoming the change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:12 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Minnesota needs this against one of the West’s best.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:39 PM EST
In other news, it appears as though David Krejci is on LTIR.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:32 PM EST
Canucks requested the league take a closer look, but no evidence was found.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:27 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Head coach Joel Quenneville said it’s “all news to me.”
Feb 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
A familiar face goes back to the Toronto organization.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:49 PM EST
Buy hey, you never know.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:39 PM EST
Bold move from Florida GM Dale Tallon.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:35 PM EST
Looking forward to playing “a better role.”
Feb 26, 2015, 4:31 PM EST
Joining the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Chick Hearn and Oscar De La Hoya.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:06 PM EST
Former “CPR Line” line member is headed back to St. Louis.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings, too 0
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)