Mar 22, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
Just a flurry of waiver wire movement on Friday, so let’s get right to it:
Rangers waive Jeff Halpern
Halpern, 36, has appeared in all 30 games for the Blueshirts this year, recording just one assist while averaging 9:10 TOI per game.
The veteran checking center was mostly used in a penalty killing role this season, averaging over two shorthanded minutes per contest. He also took the fourth-most faceoffs for the Rangers this year, and had the second-highest winning percentage (56.7).
Halpern signed a one-year, $700,000 deal with the Blueshirts last summer after spending last season in Washington.
Lighting waive Brian Lee
Lee, 25, had appeared in 22 games for the Bolts this season but hasn’t played since going minus-3 in a 4-3 loss to Montreal on Mar. 9.
His falling out favor in Tampa Bay coincided with the emergence of rookie defenseman Radko Gudas, and yesterday’s announcement that GM Steve Yzerman had inked highly-touted college free agent Andrej Sustr.
Lee’s in the first year of a two-year, $2.3 million deal — he has an average annual cap hit of $1.15 million. He’s minus-13 this season, and has failed to register a single point.
Capitals waive Joey Crabb
Crabb, 29, has appeared in 26 games this year, recording two goals while averaging 9:25 of ice time. He hasn’t played in either of Washington’s last two games — a 2-1 loss to Pittsburgh and a 4-0 win over Winnipeg — and has gradually seen his role reduced after briefly playing on a line with Alex Ovechkin.
The Caps signed Crabb to a one-year, $950,000 deal last July after his solid 2011-12 campaign — he scored a career-high 11 goals and 26 points while playing for Toronto.
‘Canes waive Zach Boychuk
You can read all about the strange saga of Boychuk here, because I don’t really want to rehash it again. Just know it’s the fourth time he’s been put on waivers in 50 days, and the second time Carolina’s waived him this season.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)