Mar 22, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
Just a flurry of waiver wire movement on Friday, so let’s get right to it:
Rangers waive Jeff Halpern
Halpern, 36, has appeared in all 30 games for the Blueshirts this year, recording just one assist while averaging 9:10 TOI per game.
The veteran checking center was mostly used in a penalty killing role this season, averaging over two shorthanded minutes per contest. He also took the fourth-most faceoffs for the Rangers this year, and had the second-highest winning percentage (56.7).
Halpern signed a one-year, $700,000 deal with the Blueshirts last summer after spending last season in Washington.
Lighting waive Brian Lee
Lee, 25, had appeared in 22 games for the Bolts this season but hasn’t played since going minus-3 in a 4-3 loss to Montreal on Mar. 9.
His falling out favor in Tampa Bay coincided with the emergence of rookie defenseman Radko Gudas, and yesterday’s announcement that GM Steve Yzerman had inked highly-touted college free agent Andrej Sustr.
Lee’s in the first year of a two-year, $2.3 million deal — he has an average annual cap hit of $1.15 million. He’s minus-13 this season, and has failed to register a single point.
Capitals waive Joey Crabb
Crabb, 29, has appeared in 26 games this year, recording two goals while averaging 9:25 of ice time. He hasn’t played in either of Washington’s last two games — a 2-1 loss to Pittsburgh and a 4-0 win over Winnipeg — and has gradually seen his role reduced after briefly playing on a line with Alex Ovechkin.
The Caps signed Crabb to a one-year, $950,000 deal last July after his solid 2011-12 campaign — he scored a career-high 11 goals and 26 points while playing for Toronto.
‘Canes waive Zach Boychuk
You can read all about the strange saga of Boychuk here, because I don’t really want to rehash it again. Just know it’s the fourth time he’s been put on waivers in 50 days, and the second time Carolina’s waived him this season.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (55)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)