Mar 22, 2013, 1:24 PM EST
Just a flurry of waiver wire movement on Friday, so let’s get right to it:
Rangers waive Jeff Halpern
Halpern, 36, has appeared in all 30 games for the Blueshirts this year, recording just one assist while averaging 9:10 TOI per game.
The veteran checking center was mostly used in a penalty killing role this season, averaging over two shorthanded minutes per contest. He also took the fourth-most faceoffs for the Rangers this year, and had the second-highest winning percentage (56.7).
Halpern signed a one-year, $700,000 deal with the Blueshirts last summer after spending last season in Washington.
Lighting waive Brian Lee
Lee, 25, had appeared in 22 games for the Bolts this season but hasn’t played since going minus-3 in a 4-3 loss to Montreal on Mar. 9.
His falling out favor in Tampa Bay coincided with the emergence of rookie defenseman Radko Gudas, and yesterday’s announcement that GM Steve Yzerman had inked highly-touted college free agent Andrej Sustr.
Lee’s in the first year of a two-year, $2.3 million deal — he has an average annual cap hit of $1.15 million. He’s minus-13 this season, and has failed to register a single point.
Capitals waive Joey Crabb
Crabb, 29, has appeared in 26 games this year, recording two goals while averaging 9:25 of ice time. He hasn’t played in either of Washington’s last two games — a 2-1 loss to Pittsburgh and a 4-0 win over Winnipeg — and has gradually seen his role reduced after briefly playing on a line with Alex Ovechkin.
The Caps signed Crabb to a one-year, $950,000 deal last July after his solid 2011-12 campaign — he scored a career-high 11 goals and 26 points while playing for Toronto.
‘Canes waive Zach Boychuk
You can read all about the strange saga of Boychuk here, because I don’t really want to rehash it again. Just know it’s the fourth time he’s been put on waivers in 50 days, and the second time Carolina’s waived him this season.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 150
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (150)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)