Mar 22, 2013, 1:24 PM EST
Just a flurry of waiver wire movement on Friday, so let’s get right to it:
Rangers waive Jeff Halpern
Halpern, 36, has appeared in all 30 games for the Blueshirts this year, recording just one assist while averaging 9:10 TOI per game.
The veteran checking center was mostly used in a penalty killing role this season, averaging over two shorthanded minutes per contest. He also took the fourth-most faceoffs for the Rangers this year, and had the second-highest winning percentage (56.7).
Halpern signed a one-year, $700,000 deal with the Blueshirts last summer after spending last season in Washington.
Lighting waive Brian Lee
Lee, 25, had appeared in 22 games for the Bolts this season but hasn’t played since going minus-3 in a 4-3 loss to Montreal on Mar. 9.
His falling out favor in Tampa Bay coincided with the emergence of rookie defenseman Radko Gudas, and yesterday’s announcement that GM Steve Yzerman had inked highly-touted college free agent Andrej Sustr.
Lee’s in the first year of a two-year, $2.3 million deal — he has an average annual cap hit of $1.15 million. He’s minus-13 this season, and has failed to register a single point.
Capitals waive Joey Crabb
Crabb, 29, has appeared in 26 games this year, recording two goals while averaging 9:25 of ice time. He hasn’t played in either of Washington’s last two games — a 2-1 loss to Pittsburgh and a 4-0 win over Winnipeg — and has gradually seen his role reduced after briefly playing on a line with Alex Ovechkin.
The Caps signed Crabb to a one-year, $950,000 deal last July after his solid 2011-12 campaign — he scored a career-high 11 goals and 26 points while playing for Toronto.
‘Canes waive Zach Boychuk
You can read all about the strange saga of Boychuk here, because I don’t really want to rehash it again. Just know it’s the fourth time he’s been put on waivers in 50 days, and the second time Carolina’s waived him this season.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 0
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (80)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)