Mar 22, 2013, 6:46 PM EDT
In a phone interview with Yahoo!’s Puck Daddy, Shanahan explained that while Nash’s hit should’ve been penalized during the game, it didn’t contain enough elements to garner supplemental discipline.
“We don’t like this hit. It absolutely should have been a two [minute minor], and probably should have been a five,” Shanahan said. “We don’t see this as being principal point of contact to the head. For a fact, we don’t see much contact to the head at all.”
Shanahan also added he spoke to Nash on Thursday night, and told the Rangers forward the hit was “rotten.”
Nash caught Kopecky late in the third period with Florida holding a 2-0 lead. He wasn’t penalized and Kopecky left momentarily before returning to score an empty-net goal, icing the Panthers’ win.
Many have pointed to the fact Nash left his feet as a reason for punishing the hit. To that, Shanahan said the NHL doesn’t suspend players for leaving their feet, but rather “leaving your feet and hitting a guy in the head violently.”
The decision not to suspend Nash has come under heavy scrutiny.
Sports Illustrated’s Allan Muir wrote “pretty much everyone dropped the ball on this one,” while the Toronto Star’s Kevin McGran said Nash “got off scot-free,” suggesting it would’ve been appropriate for Shanahan or the disciplinary department to issue a video/statement explaining why the Rangers forward wasn’t suspended.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:56 AM EDT
He was playing with the Winnipeg Jets before heading to Croatia.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
Some interesting players still need deals.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
Quite the steal.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Adding some veteran help.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
“Young guns” no more?
Jul 1, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $7.5 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
Reunited and it feels pretty good.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
The contract pays the 25-year-old $600,000.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:36 PM EDT
Had 22 goals for the Ducks in 2014-15.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:34 PM EDT
It’s reportedly two-years, $3 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Don Sweeney keeps making moves.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
The Rangers were a banged-up group in the playoffs.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Was the first netminder taken at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:34 PM EDT
Fresh off winning the Stanley Cup with Chicago.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
“We are here to build a team that is capable of winning a Stanley Cup. There are no shortcuts to go around doing that.”
Jul 1, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
23-year-old had 18 points in 29 games last year.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Moves on from Washington, the team that drafted him in 2004.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Penguins GM considers his new winger in the same class as Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)