Mar 22, 2013, 2:51 PM EST
Dallas Stars forward Ray Whitney recently spoke with Mayor’s Manor about a variety of subjects — specifically, his ideas on how young players should conduct themselves.
Whitney, 40, is the NHL’s fourth-oldest player and is in the midst of his 21st season. He didn’t yell at the kids to get off his lawn or anything, but it’s still a good rant nonetheless:
In my day, if you were to walk around with your headset on and ride the bike with a cell phone in your hand – stuff like that pisses me off.
It’s the one thing I can relate to the young guys. I say, ‘Listen, when you’re at the rink it’s work time. You can put your stuff away, and you can worry about your girlfriend’s text messaging and stuff later. It’s time to get down to business.’
So there’s differences in the game now with how people are, how people act, and how they think they should be treated.
I’m still a little bit old school, where you get treated how you work and how you perform.
It’s gotta be tough for Whitney to relate sometimes. I mean, the guy made his NHL debut in 1992, the same year Stars defenseman Jamie Oleksiak was born. (Ironically enough, Oleksiak made his NHL debut this season.)
Dallas also has a bunch of regulars that are 23 or younger — Jamie Benn, Antoine Roussel, Brenden Dillon, Cody Eakin — so you can’t blame Whitney for occasionally snapping when they’re goofing around on their iFacepads or whatever. He comes by it naturally.
Anyway, the entire Mayor’s Manor interview is pretty good, so definitely go check it out. Be sure to read Whitney’s bit about how it’s important to crush a few beers with the guys after the game, so long as the wife is cool with it. Some solid life advice there.
Dec 5, 2013, 4:05 PM EST
“All of the other guys, I think, have better to give.”
Dec 5, 2013, 3:08 PM EST
Still unclear what ails the 27-year-old defenseman.
Dec 5, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
“Here we are now and it’s a chance for us to grow as a team and work on some things that need fixing and turn in a good effort,” Blues d-man Kevin Shattenkirk said.
Dec 5, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
Which led to Montreal’s game-tying goal against New Jersey.
Dec 5, 2013, 2:03 PM EST
News and notes from the crease…
Dec 5, 2013, 1:42 PM EST
Dallas Eakins sends the pair of d-men to the press box.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Detroit’s absolutely ravaged by injuries right now.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Sports legal analyst Eric Macramalla answers that question and more.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
Pittsburgh hosts San Jose tonight, not coincidentally.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
Yet another question for Glen Sather to answer.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
“We’ve got one of the better goaltenders in the world here.”
Dec 5, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Dec 5, 2013, 11:50 AM EST
Left the morning skate early.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:37 AM EST
Been a brutal season injury-wise.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
If it isn’t, it’s on life support.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:24 AM EST
Sounds like D’Amigo could make his NHL debut tonight.
Dec 5, 2013, 10:42 AM EST
“He’s working very hard, he’s very focused and I think he’ll do a good job for them.”
Dec 5, 2013, 9:55 AM EST
They’re 0-for-5 now.
Dec 5, 2013, 8:58 AM EST
They’ve been shut out three times in five games.
Dec 5, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
Thursday’s collection of links.
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 77
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 58
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (79)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (58)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)