Mar 22, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
Dallas Stars forward Ray Whitney recently spoke with Mayor’s Manor about a variety of subjects — specifically, his ideas on how young players should conduct themselves.
Whitney, 40, is the NHL’s fourth-oldest player and is in the midst of his 21st season. He didn’t yell at the kids to get off his lawn or anything, but it’s still a good rant nonetheless:
In my day, if you were to walk around with your headset on and ride the bike with a cell phone in your hand – stuff like that pisses me off.
It’s the one thing I can relate to the young guys. I say, ‘Listen, when you’re at the rink it’s work time. You can put your stuff away, and you can worry about your girlfriend’s text messaging and stuff later. It’s time to get down to business.’
So there’s differences in the game now with how people are, how people act, and how they think they should be treated.
I’m still a little bit old school, where you get treated how you work and how you perform.
It’s gotta be tough for Whitney to relate sometimes. I mean, the guy made his NHL debut in 1992, the same year Stars defenseman Jamie Oleksiak was born. (Ironically enough, Oleksiak made his NHL debut this season.)
Dallas also has a bunch of regulars that are 23 or younger — Jamie Benn, Antoine Roussel, Brenden Dillon, Cody Eakin — so you can’t blame Whitney for occasionally snapping when they’re goofing around on their iFacepads or whatever. He comes by it naturally.
Anyway, the entire Mayor’s Manor interview is pretty good, so definitely go check it out. Be sure to read Whitney’s bit about how it’s important to crush a few beers with the guys after the game, so long as the wife is cool with it. Some solid life advice there.
Aug 5, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Toronto got off to a 19-9-3 start. And then…
Aug 5, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
It blows the Kings goaltender’s mind that he’s not talked about more, so let’s discuss him.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He used to have that role with the Calgary Flames.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
They signed him to a one-year deal while fellow breakout rookie Mark Stone got a three-year contract.
Aug 4, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Jim Benning follows through after calling him a “foundation piece.”
Aug 4, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Assuming of course Bill Foley succeeds in his attempt to bring the NHL to Sin City.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
Where should we set the bar post-Babcock?
Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
That didn’t work out for them.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Yes, it’s the inevitable, perennial Red Wings question.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
MLBAM will handle NHL.com, Center Ice, Game Center Live and the NHL Network in 2016.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Can Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek get it done, collectively?
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Adding a wealth of experience.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
The skilled Swede may or may not be ready to start the season.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s already made a positive impression on Jeff Blashill.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs Day at PHT 0
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 19
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 40
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 35
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (40)