Mar 22, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
The NHL plans to have a chat with Edler, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, opening the door to a potential fine or suspension.
The hearing will be conducted over the phone, which means that Edler won’t be suspended for more than five games.
If you missed the hit, you can view it below:
Smith finished what little was left of the second period, but Jason LaBarbera replaced him for the third. Coyotes coach Dave Tippett didn’t update Smith’s status after the game, according to the Arizona Republic’s Sarah McLellan.
Phoenix scored a goal during the ensuing major penalty, but Martin Hanzal and Shane Doan each took two-minute minors that lessened the impact of the opportunity. In the end, Vancouver still earned a 2-1 win on Thursday.
The hit brought up memories of when Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw charged into Smith during the 2012 playoffs. For that incident, Shaw was suspended for three playoff games, although TSN’s Darren Dreger stated at the time that Shaw would have missed the remainder of the series had Smith been hurt as a result.
If you want to see Brendan Shanahan’s ruling on Shaw’s hit and decide if it compares to what Edler did, you can watch it below:
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)