Mar 22, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
The NHL plans to have a chat with Edler, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, opening the door to a potential fine or suspension.
The hearing will be conducted over the phone, which means that Edler won’t be suspended for more than five games.
If you missed the hit, you can view it below:
Smith finished what little was left of the second period, but Jason LaBarbera replaced him for the third. Coyotes coach Dave Tippett didn’t update Smith’s status after the game, according to the Arizona Republic’s Sarah McLellan.
Phoenix scored a goal during the ensuing major penalty, but Martin Hanzal and Shane Doan each took two-minute minors that lessened the impact of the opportunity. In the end, Vancouver still earned a 2-1 win on Thursday.
The hit brought up memories of when Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw charged into Smith during the 2012 playoffs. For that incident, Shaw was suspended for three playoff games, although TSN’s Darren Dreger stated at the time that Shaw would have missed the remainder of the series had Smith been hurt as a result.
If you want to see Brendan Shanahan’s ruling on Shaw’s hit and decide if it compares to what Edler did, you can watch it below:
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 0
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 34
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 15
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (57)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)