Mar 22, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
The NHL plans to have a chat with Edler, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, opening the door to a potential fine or suspension.
The hearing will be conducted over the phone, which means that Edler won’t be suspended for more than five games.
If you missed the hit, you can view it below:
Smith finished what little was left of the second period, but Jason LaBarbera replaced him for the third. Coyotes coach Dave Tippett didn’t update Smith’s status after the game, according to the Arizona Republic’s Sarah McLellan.
Phoenix scored a goal during the ensuing major penalty, but Martin Hanzal and Shane Doan each took two-minute minors that lessened the impact of the opportunity. In the end, Vancouver still earned a 2-1 win on Thursday.
The hit brought up memories of when Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw charged into Smith during the 2012 playoffs. For that incident, Shaw was suspended for three playoff games, although TSN’s Darren Dreger stated at the time that Shaw would have missed the remainder of the series had Smith been hurt as a result.
If you want to see Brendan Shanahan’s ruling on Shaw’s hit and decide if it compares to what Edler did, you can watch it below:
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)