Mar 22, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
It started back on Feb. 26.
The Columbus Blue Jackets, thanks to a dominant 5-1 win over the visiting Calgary Flames Friday evening, have now gone 12 games without a regulation defeat. Nine of those games have been decided either in overtime or the shootout.
Yes. The Columbus Blue Jackets. No, that isn’t a typo.
A three-goal outburst from the Blue Jackets in the second period turned what was, at the time, a 1-1 hockey game into a commanding 4-1 Columbus lead heading into the final 20 minutes.
And the folks at the Nationwide Arena showed their appreciation, giving the Blue Jackets a standing ovation for the final minute of the game, according to a tweet from Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch.
The Blue Jackets’ Central Division foes, the Chicago Blackhawks, already had an impressive streak to begin the season, going the first 24 games without a regulation loss.
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 0
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)