Mar 22, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
It started back on Feb. 26.
The Columbus Blue Jackets, thanks to a dominant 5-1 win over the visiting Calgary Flames Friday evening, have now gone 12 games without a regulation defeat. Nine of those games have been decided either in overtime or the shootout.
Yes. The Columbus Blue Jackets. No, that isn’t a typo.
A three-goal outburst from the Blue Jackets in the second period turned what was, at the time, a 1-1 hockey game into a commanding 4-1 Columbus lead heading into the final 20 minutes.
And the folks at the Nationwide Arena showed their appreciation, giving the Blue Jackets a standing ovation for the final minute of the game, according to a tweet from Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch.
The Blue Jackets’ Central Division foes, the Chicago Blackhawks, already had an impressive streak to begin the season, going the first 24 games without a regulation loss.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)