Mar 22, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
One day after tweaking his back during the morning skate and subsequently being kept out of the lineup Thursday evening against the Phoenix Coyotes, Canucks forward Chris Higgins was back skating Friday.
This is good news for the Canucks, a team dealing with numerous injuries and a possible suspension to one of its top blue liners.
With Higgins out of the lineup, defenseman Keith Ballard was moved up to the wing for Thursday’s 2-1 win over the Coyotes, while Andrew Gordon, recalled from the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League, was placed on the fourth line.
Canucks defenseman Alex Edler is scheduled to have a hearing with the Department of Player Safety, after he was given a major penalty for charging on a collision with Coyotes goalie Mike Smith behind the Phoenix net in the second period of Thursday’s game.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)