Mar 22, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
It’s possible Booth could return for the playoffs, presumably depending how far Vancouver advances.
Booth was hurt in Saturday’s 5-2 loss to Detroit at Rogers Arena.
It’s been a frustrating year for the 28-year-old, who missed the start of the season with a groin injury and has only managed one goal, an empty-netter, in 12 games.
The injury does, however, open up cap space for Gillis as the April 3 trade deadline approaches. Booth’s cap hit is $4.25 million.
The Canucks have also shut down forward Manny Malhotra ($2.5 million) for the season.
There also, of course, remains a chance Gillis can trade goalie Roberto Luongo ($5.3 million).
Vancouver, like many teams, is searching for a third-line center.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 64
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50