Mar 22, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
It’s possible Booth could return for the playoffs, presumably depending how far Vancouver advances.
Booth was hurt in Saturday’s 5-2 loss to Detroit at Rogers Arena.
It’s been a frustrating year for the 28-year-old, who missed the start of the season with a groin injury and has only managed one goal, an empty-netter, in 12 games.
The injury does, however, open up cap space for Gillis as the April 3 trade deadline approaches. Booth’s cap hit is $4.25 million.
The Canucks have also shut down forward Manny Malhotra ($2.5 million) for the season.
There also, of course, remains a chance Gillis can trade goalie Roberto Luongo ($5.3 million).
Vancouver, like many teams, is searching for a third-line center.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)