Mar 22, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes entered the season with so much promise after adding forwards Jordan Staal and Alexander Semin. That might have been enough if their sickbay wasn’t filling up with goaltenders.
Ellis is likely to be out for a week or two as a result.
With their top two goaltenders injured, 26-year-old Justin Peters, who has 33 games worth of NHL experience, looks like the team’s de facto starter. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford suggested that John Muse, 24, might serve as the backup.
Muse has a 3.48 GAA and .879 save percentage in 13 AHL games and has posted equally troubling numbers with the ECHL Florida Everblades this season.
Meanwhile, Carolina suffered their fifth straight loss on Thursday and were even unlucky enough to accidentally score on themselves.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)