Mar 22, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes entered the season with so much promise after adding forwards Jordan Staal and Alexander Semin. That might have been enough if their sickbay wasn’t filling up with goaltenders.
Ellis is likely to be out for a week or two as a result.
With their top two goaltenders injured, 26-year-old Justin Peters, who has 33 games worth of NHL experience, looks like the team’s de facto starter. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford suggested that John Muse, 24, might serve as the backup.
Muse has a 3.48 GAA and .879 save percentage in 13 AHL games and has posted equally troubling numbers with the ECHL Florida Everblades this season.
Meanwhile, Carolina suffered their fifth straight loss on Thursday and were even unlucky enough to accidentally score on themselves.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)