Mar 22, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes entered the season with so much promise after adding forwards Jordan Staal and Alexander Semin. That might have been enough if their sickbay wasn’t filling up with goaltenders.
Ellis is likely to be out for a week or two as a result.
With their top two goaltenders injured, 26-year-old Justin Peters, who has 33 games worth of NHL experience, looks like the team’s de facto starter. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford suggested that John Muse, 24, might serve as the backup.
Muse has a 3.48 GAA and .879 save percentage in 13 AHL games and has posted equally troubling numbers with the ECHL Florida Everblades this season.
Meanwhile, Carolina suffered their fifth straight loss on Thursday and were even unlucky enough to accidentally score on themselves.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 4
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 10
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 27
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)