Mar 22, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes entered the season with so much promise after adding forwards Jordan Staal and Alexander Semin. That might have been enough if their sickbay wasn’t filling up with goaltenders.
Ellis is likely to be out for a week or two as a result.
With their top two goaltenders injured, 26-year-old Justin Peters, who has 33 games worth of NHL experience, looks like the team’s de facto starter. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford suggested that John Muse, 24, might serve as the backup.
Muse has a 3.48 GAA and .879 save percentage in 13 AHL games and has posted equally troubling numbers with the ECHL Florida Everblades this season.
Meanwhile, Carolina suffered their fifth straight loss on Thursday and were even unlucky enough to accidentally score on themselves.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 10
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54