Mar 22, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli would like to make a deal to improve his club.
Problem is, there’s no deal to make.
That’s what the Boston Bruins GM told CSNNE.com on Friday, saying the current landscape makes it difficult to pull off a trade.
“It’s as hard as its ever been or harder because of all these teams that are still in it,” said Chiarelli. “Teams feel like they only need to win three games and they’re back in it…and they are because of the condensed schedule.”
It makes sense that tight standings have frozen the trade market. But it’s also disappointing, because it wasn’t supposed to be this way.
When people learned the new CBA included the “Brian Burke clause” — a wrinkle allowing teams to retain salary in trades, a mechanism designed to make deals easier to complete — many figured this year’s trade deadline had the potential for fireworks.
Here’s what the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle wrote at the time:
This could be a fascinating new wrinkle in that way, as we’ve often seen players become untradeable due to their contracts and GMs like Brian Burke have pushed to allow more creativity in deals.
Whether it dramatically ups the number of trades being made remains to be seen, but that’s the hope from NHL executives right now.
The rule may have made previously “untradeable” players more moveable, but that hasn’t translated into deals.
(Though, it should be noted, Burke’s predecessor in Toronto — Dave Nonis — utilized the clause to move Matthew Lombardi to Phoenix in mid-January, retaining $500,000 in salary.)
As for Chiarelli, he’s still holding out hope for increased activity as the Apr. 3 trade deadline draws near.
Plenty of teams can fall out of contention over the next week and a half, which could allow for more conversations to take place — and Chiarelli confirmed talks have been underway.
“There’s more chatter and more talk because we were all in Toronto at the GM meetings,” he said. “I’d like to be able to do it earlier [this month] but I might not be able to, because the deal just might not be there.”
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
And on the possibility of his client signing an offer sheet? “Well, we’ll have to see.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
“Justin has emerged as one of our most well-rounded and dependable defensemen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
“We’ve been told if we don’t give them what they want, they’ll be leaving town.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Veteran d-man just turned 40 years old.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
“That is significantly good to hear.”
Sep 17, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“I’ve been with the team for eight years, and I don’t know if I’ve been more disappointed about anything that’s been written,” said Pierre Dorion.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Enter Radim Vrbata.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
“I actually thought I had a great year up to the Olympic break and even after.”
Sep 17, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
“The tenor of the talks has been good, so we’ll keep going and keep working on it.”
Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Yet he says his contract status won’t be an issue this season.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
The Blues acquired him from Toronto.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 2
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)