Mar 22, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli would like to make a deal to improve his club.
Problem is, there’s no deal to make.
That’s what the Boston Bruins GM told CSNNE.com on Friday, saying the current landscape makes it difficult to pull off a trade.
“It’s as hard as its ever been or harder because of all these teams that are still in it,” said Chiarelli. “Teams feel like they only need to win three games and they’re back in it…and they are because of the condensed schedule.”
It makes sense that tight standings have frozen the trade market. But it’s also disappointing, because it wasn’t supposed to be this way.
When people learned the new CBA included the “Brian Burke clause” — a wrinkle allowing teams to retain salary in trades, a mechanism designed to make deals easier to complete — many figured this year’s trade deadline had the potential for fireworks.
Here’s what the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle wrote at the time:
This could be a fascinating new wrinkle in that way, as we’ve often seen players become untradeable due to their contracts and GMs like Brian Burke have pushed to allow more creativity in deals.
Whether it dramatically ups the number of trades being made remains to be seen, but that’s the hope from NHL executives right now.
The rule may have made previously “untradeable” players more moveable, but that hasn’t translated into deals.
(Though, it should be noted, Burke’s predecessor in Toronto — Dave Nonis — utilized the clause to move Matthew Lombardi to Phoenix in mid-January, retaining $500,000 in salary.)
As for Chiarelli, he’s still holding out hope for increased activity as the Apr. 3 trade deadline draws near.
Plenty of teams can fall out of contention over the next week and a half, which could allow for more conversations to take place — and Chiarelli confirmed talks have been underway.
“There’s more chatter and more talk because we were all in Toronto at the GM meetings,” he said. “I’d like to be able to do it earlier [this month] but I might not be able to, because the deal just might not be there.”
May 22, 2013, 2:59 AM EDT
He was pretty good.
May 22, 2013, 2:23 AM EDT
Series tied 2-2.
May 22, 2013, 1:29 AM EDT
You be the judge.
May 22, 2013, 1:07 AM EDT
An apology was issued.
May 22, 2013, 12:54 AM EDT
Turning into a heck of a series.
May 22, 2013, 12:21 AM EDT
Lots happening in this one. More highlights coming, by the way.
May 21, 2013, 11:26 PM EDT
Been dealing with plenty of traffic in front of him all throughout playoffs.
May 21, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
Does the league take a look at this?
May 21, 2013, 11:07 PM EDT
Where did this scoring come from?
May 21, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
The comments are now open.
May 21, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
Both make their series debuts tonight.
May 21, 2013, 9:13 PM EDT
That’s a long way up to do that.
May 21, 2013, 7:37 PM EDT
This might be getting old to him by now.
May 21, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
He was banged up roughly in Game 3.
May 21, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
A 13-percent rise from last year.
May 21, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
Off to a surprising 2-1 series lead over Chicago.
May 21, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
He’ll replace Peter Horachek, who was fired yesterday.
May 21, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
(His brother is Patrick Roy.)
May 21, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
May 21, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Logan Couture says he’s “all good.”
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 11
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 18
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 22
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car