Mar 22, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
Technically, tonight’s game in Winnipeg isn’t a must-win for Washington. That being said, the Capitals really, really need to win it.
A regulation loss would see the Jets take a nine-point lead over the Caps in the Southeast Division. Washington would also remain five points back of the Hurricanes and Rangers for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
A regulation win though? The Caps would be right back in the race for the Southeast, five points back of the Jets, with Washington holding a game in hand.
And let’s face it — the Jets are eminently fallible, as evidenced by their minus-10 goal differential, the worst of any team currently in a playoff position.
Add to the equation the Hurricanes are suddenly a mess, the Lightning have been one of the worst teams in the league since a decent start, and the Panthers are a non-factor, and there’s an opening here for the Caps.
They have to beat Winnipeg tonight though. Just like they did last night, shutting out the Jets, 4-0, at the MTS Centre.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 0
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 17
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 21
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 71
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 23
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 57
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (71)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car