Mar 22, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
Technically, tonight’s game in Winnipeg isn’t a must-win for Washington. That being said, the Capitals really, really need to win it.
A regulation loss would see the Jets take a nine-point lead over the Caps in the Southeast Division. Washington would also remain five points back of the Hurricanes and Rangers for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
A regulation win though? The Caps would be right back in the race for the Southeast, five points back of the Jets, with Washington holding a game in hand.
And let’s face it — the Jets are eminently fallible, as evidenced by their minus-10 goal differential, the worst of any team currently in a playoff position.
Add to the equation the Hurricanes are suddenly a mess, the Lightning have been one of the worst teams in the league since a decent start, and the Panthers are a non-factor, and there’s an opening here for the Caps.
They have to beat Winnipeg tonight though. Just like they did last night, shutting out the Jets, 4-0, at the MTS Centre.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 73
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)