Mar 22, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Of all the NHL goalies with at least 10 starts this season, not one of them has a lower save percentage than Calgary’s Miikka Kiprusoff (.869).
Kiprusoff started yesterday’s 5-3 loss to the Predators in Nashville, surrendering five goals on just 23 shots. Yet the Flames will reportedly have the 36-year-old back in net again tonight in Columbus.
Not that Calgary has an obvious alternative — veteran Joey McDonald is the backup, and he hasn’t been fantastic either.
Besides, Kiprusoff has been a rock for the Flames for around a decade.
“I try to stay out of that,” he said recently. “I try to keep it simple, still. I try to help team here. Try to win games.”
Kiprusoff has one year remaining on his contract, which features a big cap hit of $5.83 million. However, it’s worth noting his salary for 2013-14 is just $1.5 million, a figure that could make him attractive to a club with budget constraints.
Just to throw it out there — might Florida be interested in acquiring Kiprusoff to act as a mentor for young Jacob Markstrom?
According to the Calgary Herald, Chicago and Toronto are rumored to be “sniffing around” as well.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 20
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 33
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)