Mar 21, 2013, 7:44 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils clearly struggled while Martin Brodeur was sidelined for a month with a back injury. After Thursday’s odd moment, one might joke that they even missed his offense.
Brodeur was credited with a power-play goal when the Carolina Hurricanes accidentally sent the puck into their own net:
That almost became a game-winning goal, but Jeff Skinner ruined the fun and the Devils settled for a 4-1 win.
The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti broke down a bunch of fun facts about Brodeur’s goal-scoring antics on Twitter tonight. Here are some of the highlights:
- Brodeur’s three career goals represents another NHL “record.”
- Brodeur has only shot the puck into the net for one of his goals (that famous empty-netter against the Montreal Canadiens in 1997). His other two were own goals; that includes tonight’s tally and one that happened against the Philadelphia Flyers in 2000.
- Ron Hextall is the only goalie who has shot the puck into a net for more than one goal.
- Evgeni Nabokov is the only other goalie who “scored” a power-play goal during his time with the San Jose Sharks (a 2002 game against the Vancouver Canucks).
Gulitti’s joke puts the icing on the cake:
So, Ilya Kovlachuk has two PPGs this season and Brodeur has one.
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) March 21, 2013
Dec 13, 2013, 2:02 AM EST
All three San Jose goals came on the power play.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
But they snapped that 10-game losing streak the other day.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:03 AM EST
His inconsistent season continues.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:36 AM EST
Quite the funk they’re in when it comes to this aspect.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:17 AM EST
Bet these guys were tired after.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:57 PM EST
What a day in Calgary. More Brian Burke!
Dec 12, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Yeah, these are tough times.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Didn’t think too highly of it.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
But two points eluded them.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
Dec 12, 2013, 10:06 PM EST
And it’s getting worse in New York.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
Nice moment in Philly.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
Montreal defenseman’s night ends early.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:52 PM EST
Jonathan Bernier takes over.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
Tough time to be a Columbus goalie.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:39 PM EST
Cam Talbot was cheered upon entering the game.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
No word on the severity of TT’s injury.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
He’s been out with a lower-body injury.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Oilers coach wants to use “speed” and “smarts” tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
Oh, and Anders Nilsson sent back to AHL.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)