Mar 21, 2013, 7:44 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils clearly struggled while Martin Brodeur was sidelined for a month with a back injury. After Thursday’s odd moment, one might joke that they even missed his offense.
Brodeur was credited with a power-play goal when the Carolina Hurricanes accidentally sent the puck into their own net:
That almost became a game-winning goal, but Jeff Skinner ruined the fun and the Devils settled for a 4-1 win.
The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti broke down a bunch of fun facts about Brodeur’s goal-scoring antics on Twitter tonight. Here are some of the highlights:
- Brodeur’s three career goals represents another NHL “record.”
- Brodeur has only shot the puck into the net for one of his goals (that famous empty-netter against the Montreal Canadiens in 1997). His other two were own goals; that includes tonight’s tally and one that happened against the Philadelphia Flyers in 2000.
- Ron Hextall is the only goalie who has shot the puck into a net for more than one goal.
- Evgeni Nabokov is the only other goalie who “scored” a power-play goal during his time with the San Jose Sharks (a 2002 game against the Vancouver Canucks).
Gulitti’s joke puts the icing on the cake:
So, Ilya Kovlachuk has two PPGs this season and Brodeur has one.
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) March 21, 2013
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
Dec 27, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
There was plenty of controversy surrounding the single-punch incident on Nov. 21.
Dec 27, 2014, 2:32 PM EST
Jagr from less than two weeks ago: “(Firing DeBoer) would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make.”
Dec 27, 2014, 1:37 PM EST
He missed four games.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:42 PM EST
He won’t need to undergo surgery.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
The Devils will dress 11 forwards tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
It’s been that kind of season for Columbus.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
Paul MacLean’s name has been mentioned too.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:53 AM EST
Los Angeles is in a delicate position after a pre-holiday slump.
Dec 27, 2014, 1:00 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
No official word from New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:49 PM EST
This was over early.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
It’s hitting the fan for New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Long-time play-by-play man Bob Cole also recognized.
Dec 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Will be filling the spot vacated by the suspended John Scott.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)