Mar 21, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils clearly struggled while Martin Brodeur was sidelined for a month with a back injury. After Thursday’s odd moment, one might joke that they even missed his offense.
Brodeur was credited with a power-play goal when the Carolina Hurricanes accidentally sent the puck into their own net:
That almost became a game-winning goal, but Jeff Skinner ruined the fun and the Devils settled for a 4-1 win.
The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti broke down a bunch of fun facts about Brodeur’s goal-scoring antics on Twitter tonight. Here are some of the highlights:
- Brodeur’s three career goals represents another NHL “record.”
- Brodeur has only shot the puck into the net for one of his goals (that famous empty-netter against the Montreal Canadiens in 1997). His other two were own goals; that includes tonight’s tally and one that happened against the Philadelphia Flyers in 2000.
- Ron Hextall is the only goalie who has shot the puck into a net for more than one goal.
- Evgeni Nabokov is the only other goalie who “scored” a power-play goal during his time with the San Jose Sharks (a 2002 game against the Vancouver Canucks).
Gulitti’s joke puts the icing on the cake:
So, Ilya Kovlachuk has two PPGs this season and Brodeur has one.
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) March 21, 2013
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)