Mar 21, 2013, 3:20 PM EST
Yesterday, we passed along news of Tampa Bay goalie Anders Lindback suffering a lower-body injury during a 4-2 loss to the Leafs, forcing him out of the contest.
Today, Lindback’s diagnosis was revealed — and it’s not good.
The Swedish netminder will be out for an undetermined length of time with a high ankle sprain and is headed to injured reserve.
The news is tough for Tampa Bay on two fronts.
One, the goaltending front, as Lindback has played well of late, winning three straight games while allowing just five goals.
Two, the injury front.
Benoit Pouliout is still shelved with a sprained right shoulder and the team’s other goalie, Mathieu Garon, was activated from IR (lower body) just eight days ago.
According to Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune, head coach Guy Boucher is “leaning toward” starting Garon in both games this weekend — Saturday in Ottawa, Sunday in Winnipeg — though it’s possible AHL call-up Cedrick Desjardins could see some action as well.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)