Mar 21, 2013, 9:04 AM EST
The Dallas Stars gave up enforcer Steve Ott and defenseman Adam Pardy to get Derek Roy in a summer trade with the Buffalo Sabres. Now it looks like they might part ways with him after only a handful of months on the job.
The Stars and Roy’s camp have confirmed that there’s nothing to report regarding a potential contract extension, according to the Dallas Morning News. Roy is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
The 29-year-old forward has bounced back from his disappointing 2011-12 campaign by recording 16 points and a team-leading plus-five rating in 24 games this season.
“He’s a good player, and it gives us flexibility to be able to play him anywhere and take some pressure off of Bennie,” Stars coach Glen Gulutzan, with Bennie being Jamie Benn. “He is a two-way player. He’s not a heavy two-way player, but he’s a positional two-way player.”
The lack of news has sparked rumors that Dallas might even trade Roy, although we won’t know how likely that possibility is until we see how the Stars do over the next two weeks. As it is, Dallas is just three points behind the eighth place San Jose Sharks.
Whatever happens though, Roy is keeping his focus on the ice.
“I understand the situation, and you never know what can happen, so I just concentrate on my game,” Roy said. “It’s fine, honestly. I just try to work on my game, and everything will figure itself out. I want to play better, I want us to win games, and if that happens, then I’ll be happy.
“I’ll adjust to whatever else happens, but I just believe that if I play well and if I help my team play well, then everything else will fall into place.”
Dallas will play in Los Angeles tonight.
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 7
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 3
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 9
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15