Mar 21, 2013, 9:04 AM EST
The Dallas Stars gave up enforcer Steve Ott and defenseman Adam Pardy to get Derek Roy in a summer trade with the Buffalo Sabres. Now it looks like they might part ways with him after only a handful of months on the job.
The Stars and Roy’s camp have confirmed that there’s nothing to report regarding a potential contract extension, according to the Dallas Morning News. Roy is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
The 29-year-old forward has bounced back from his disappointing 2011-12 campaign by recording 16 points and a team-leading plus-five rating in 24 games this season.
“He’s a good player, and it gives us flexibility to be able to play him anywhere and take some pressure off of Bennie,” Stars coach Glen Gulutzan, with Bennie being Jamie Benn. “He is a two-way player. He’s not a heavy two-way player, but he’s a positional two-way player.”
The lack of news has sparked rumors that Dallas might even trade Roy, although we won’t know how likely that possibility is until we see how the Stars do over the next two weeks. As it is, Dallas is just three points behind the eighth place San Jose Sharks.
Whatever happens though, Roy is keeping his focus on the ice.
“I understand the situation, and you never know what can happen, so I just concentrate on my game,” Roy said. “It’s fine, honestly. I just try to work on my game, and everything will figure itself out. I want to play better, I want us to win games, and if that happens, then I’ll be happy.
“I’ll adjust to whatever else happens, but I just believe that if I play well and if I help my team play well, then everything else will fall into place.”
Dallas will play in Los Angeles tonight.
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 5
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 43
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 100
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Flyers blow 4-1 lead, Caps win in shootout 25
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (122)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (100)