Mar 21, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars gave up enforcer Steve Ott and defenseman Adam Pardy to get Derek Roy in a summer trade with the Buffalo Sabres. Now it looks like they might part ways with him after only a handful of months on the job.
The Stars and Roy’s camp have confirmed that there’s nothing to report regarding a potential contract extension, according to the Dallas Morning News. Roy is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
The 29-year-old forward has bounced back from his disappointing 2011-12 campaign by recording 16 points and a team-leading plus-five rating in 24 games this season.
“He’s a good player, and it gives us flexibility to be able to play him anywhere and take some pressure off of Bennie,” Stars coach Glen Gulutzan, with Bennie being Jamie Benn. “He is a two-way player. He’s not a heavy two-way player, but he’s a positional two-way player.”
The lack of news has sparked rumors that Dallas might even trade Roy, although we won’t know how likely that possibility is until we see how the Stars do over the next two weeks. As it is, Dallas is just three points behind the eighth place San Jose Sharks.
Whatever happens though, Roy is keeping his focus on the ice.
“I understand the situation, and you never know what can happen, so I just concentrate on my game,” Roy said. “It’s fine, honestly. I just try to work on my game, and everything will figure itself out. I want to play better, I want us to win games, and if that happens, then I’ll be happy.
“I’ll adjust to whatever else happens, but I just believe that if I play well and if I help my team play well, then everything else will fall into place.”
Dallas will play in Los Angeles tonight.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)