Mar 21, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
Stafford, however, has no intention of asking out of Buffalo.
“No, absolutely not,” the 27-year-old said, per WGR 550. “That’s not something that’s part of my character. I was brought up a certain way and I’m here to focus on the controllables and that’s how I’m playing. If I’m going in there and demanding this and demanding that, that’s just not the type of person I am, so I’m never going to quit no matter how bad it gets.”
Stafford is signed through 2014-15 with an annual salary and cap hit of $4 million. He had a career best 31 goals in 2010-11; however, that was with a shooting percentage of 17.3, considerably higher than his career average (11.6%).
Could he get back to that level with a change of scenery and some new teammates? Teams may be curious enough to inquire.
In the meantime, the Sabres could use a goal or two from Stafford tonight at home to the Leafs. Particularly since they’ll be without leading scorer Thomas Vanek, who will sit out with a lower-body injury.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 1
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)