Mar 21, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
Stafford, however, has no intention of asking out of Buffalo.
“No, absolutely not,” the 27-year-old said, per WGR 550. “That’s not something that’s part of my character. I was brought up a certain way and I’m here to focus on the controllables and that’s how I’m playing. If I’m going in there and demanding this and demanding that, that’s just not the type of person I am, so I’m never going to quit no matter how bad it gets.”
Stafford is signed through 2014-15 with an annual salary and cap hit of $4 million. He had a career best 31 goals in 2010-11; however, that was with a shooting percentage of 17.3, considerably higher than his career average (11.6%).
Could he get back to that level with a change of scenery and some new teammates? Teams may be curious enough to inquire.
In the meantime, the Sabres could use a goal or two from Stafford tonight at home to the Leafs. Particularly since they’ll be without leading scorer Thomas Vanek, who will sit out with a lower-body injury.
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 3
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 15
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 11
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 69
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 49
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (85)