Mar 21, 2013, 10:58 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators’ ridiculous run of injuries continued on Thursday as defenseman Sergei Gonchar suffered an undisclosed injury.
The good news is that head coach Paul MacLean didn’t seem too concerned about the mystery ailment, which will apparently be re-evaluated on Friday.
It’s especially cruel timing because the 38-year-old blueliner has been generating some of his best production in ages lately. He extended a nine-game point streak (one goal, 13 assists) with a helper in Ottawa’s 2-1 loss to the Boston Bruins tonight.
Again, it’s heartening that his issue might not be too serious, but the Senators’ injury list is just absurd:
- Erik Karlsson (season over)
- Jared Cowen (season over)
- Jason Spezza (out indefinitely)
- Milan Michalek (out indefinitely, season’s probably over)
- Craig Anderson (day-to-day)
- Marc Methot (day-to-day)
- Mike Lundin (day-to-day)
- David Dziurzynski (day-to-day)
- Gonchar (we shall see)
Yup, that’s pretty outrageous.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)