Mar 21, 2013, 10:58 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators’ ridiculous run of injuries continued on Thursday as defenseman Sergei Gonchar suffered an undisclosed injury.
The good news is that head coach Paul MacLean didn’t seem too concerned about the mystery ailment, which will apparently be re-evaluated on Friday.
It’s especially cruel timing because the 38-year-old blueliner has been generating some of his best production in ages lately. He extended a nine-game point streak (one goal, 13 assists) with a helper in Ottawa’s 2-1 loss to the Boston Bruins tonight.
Again, it’s heartening that his issue might not be too serious, but the Senators’ injury list is just absurd:
- Erik Karlsson (season over)
- Jared Cowen (season over)
- Jason Spezza (out indefinitely)
- Milan Michalek (out indefinitely, season’s probably over)
- Craig Anderson (day-to-day)
- Marc Methot (day-to-day)
- Mike Lundin (day-to-day)
- David Dziurzynski (day-to-day)
- Gonchar (we shall see)
Yup, that’s pretty outrageous.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 55
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 23
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming