Scott Hartnell understands demotion from Flyers’ first line

Mar 21, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT

scotthartnellgetty Getty Images

Going into the 2013 season, it seemed like Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell would rank as one of the top duos. A fluke foot injury stalled Hartnell’s season just three games in and things haven’t gone well even during his return. The lowest moment came when head coach Peter Laviolette demoted him from the top line altogether.

The Philadelphia Flyers’ power forward told CSNPhilly.com that he understands the decision and also gets why his coach has to use some tough love every now and then.

“I wouldn’t say ‘whipping boy,’ but it’s definitely, there’s been in the past, especially with Lavy, a message sent to me,” Hartnell said. “I don’t mind. I think I needed it, to be honest. Sit on the bench and watch the guys play. I had a couple shifts. Some of my best shifts in a half dozen games in the third period. It’s about how you respond to [adversity].”

The Flyers could use a healthy response from the 30-year-old winger, indeed.

He has just one goal and zero assists in eight games this month. Whether Hartnell is on the first line or among the team’s grinders, that has to turn around or Philly’s outlook will look that much bleaker.

1. mclovinhockey - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM

The flyers rush players back after injuries… Hartnell, read, mez…. 3 very big players who after the injury returns have been horrible. This offseason should be very helpful to the flyers

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I’ve been especially disappointed with Mezsaros. Before the injuries Mez wasn’t afraid to hit anybody, but since he’s come back he’s played timid, mistake-filled hockey. He was horrendous in the last game in Tampa. I know Hartnell and Read have the ability to be difference makers on this team, but Idk about Mez. If I was Holmgren I’d look to trade him because he looks like a shell of himself, but I don’t think there’s much of a market for oft-injured defenders who don’t wanna dish out or receive any hits.

2. flyeredup - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Hartnell needs to be traded

• jpelle82 - Mar 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM

too bad they hurried up and extended him when they didnt have to yet and paid him more than he was worth while they were at it….

3. csilojohnson - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Always saw Hartnell as a glorified grinder.

4. franchisethighs - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM

The best player on this garbage team was Jagr. Now it’s all pube headed nobodies.

5. franchisethighs - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Fartsmell.

6. seawurd - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM

No matter where this idiot ends up he will be the reason the offense declines. Broad Street Pussbags.

7. jagrbomb18 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I agree with mclovin…theyll be lucky to make playoffs. I hope they keep the young guys for next year. Maybe trade off Briere depending what they can get back if he agrees to go…flyers don’t draft d :(

• odj810 - Mar 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM

they could get lucky with the knew draft lottery. seth jones on the flyers changes thing in a hurry.

• sportsfreak13 - Mar 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Thats funny because the pens don’t draft forwards. If we weren’t such bitter rivals i’d say lets make a deal.

8. gregman98 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Personally, I LOVE that the FAILERS season has COMPLETELY UNRAVELED!

Couldn`t have happened to a better, bad-karma team.

The Failers fans with they`re: `We had so many injuries` tears early in the season…only to have everyone for the most part recover and STILL FAIL to piece it together….AND their GM PUBLICLY admitting they failed…The Epitome of schadenfreude!

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 22, 2013 at 2:24 AM

talk about bad karma… finding joy in the failings of others is the epitome of bad karma. Lemme guess? Pens fan? What an enlightening and original post.

• gregman98 - Mar 22, 2013 at 7:06 AM

No, I’m a Panthers Fan. DEAD LAST in the ENTIRE LEAGUE and only 3 points shy of the FAILERS.

• mario66sid87geno71 - Mar 22, 2013 at 7:47 AM

LOL, it’s not always the Pens fans. Keep pretending it is, that obviously makes you feel better. Sadly for you, the rest of the league sees your season for what is it … Failure!

9. dolphincult - Mar 22, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I dont know what kind of idiot suggestion it is to move scottie hartnell but trade em to the habs. we will gladly take the only heart on you team unless u wanna throw in giroux too. I thought the idiot fans would have learned their lesson after getting batman and robin traded to the kings only watch them hoist the holy grail

10. whatthepuck2012 - Mar 22, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Phillyphanatic: as a Pens fan, I read his post and thought “Please don’t be a Pens fan.”

11. modellforprez - Mar 22, 2013 at 7:48 AM

whats happening is that theyre just not very good and shows last season the best player on the planet really over achieved and hartnell swallows is finished. damn philthy what the f*ck happened to you. its just karma for having besides cleland the worst most idiotic annoying fans and this can finally shut these c*+ts up!!!!!

12. benzoids - Mar 22, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I’d take Hartnell on the Pens in a second. TK for Hartnell?

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Mar 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I hope not for TK’s sake. Besides, a trade between arch rivals in the same division is always a little touchy. Don’t want that player to come back and bight ya.

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Mar 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I hope not for TK’s sake. Besides, a trade between arch rivals in the same division is always a little touchy. Don’t want that player to come back and bite ya.

• whiskytango333 - Mar 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Id love for Hartnell to be on the Pens too. His antics are not only amusing, but effective. That being said, do you honestly think the Flyers would make that trade? TK is horrible and ineffective. Im sure youre thinking the Flyers should trade Giroux for Joe Vitale too.

• benzoids - Mar 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I was being sarcastic about TK for Hartnell straight up. It would need to be a three team type deal as these two franchises would probably not work directly together. He would fit in well here. He would be a fan favorite, and he plays the type of game that we are lacking. Pair him with Sid and let him at it.

13. Anthony Maiorana - Mar 22, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Reblogged this on Evening the Score.

14. coronakid76 - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Snider just needs to blow up the team and start over. As a Flyers fan i’m just exhausted with the Dump and Chase……We never Chase!!!! and when we do, 2 of our players are out muscled by 1 opposition player and the odd man rush goes the other way. I especially don’t get this on the Power Play….We are up an extra man and still Dump the Puck. Take the next 2 to 3 years to rebuild. Trade the top talent (with the exception of Read, Couts, Giroux, Voracheck, Simmonds and Shenn Inc.) and draft/keep the players. Please hire a Goalie Scout too so we can actually draft and groom a NHL Goalie instead of obtaining a left over for picks. Team needs a new direction and a new front office. We have no Defense and no Strike Back capability……We get down 1 goal and we are done!!!

15. joeyb3878 - Mar 23, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Gotta love the fact that Penguin fans are still bitter with a mouthful sour grapes and that the only way they can try to feel better about the classic beat down put on them during the playoffs is to continue to cry while trolling a column about the Flyers. All I can say to that is deal with it and pray your Pens don’t see the Flyers again this year because we all know the Flyers will once again have their way with the Pens on their own ice in front of the same scared fair weather fans. It must really suck to still be so upset but I guess that’s what happens when you have your hope and pride beat out of you. Keep hating. I enjoy knowing that the Flyers are in your heads. FACT

16. ragingyinzer - Mar 23, 2013 at 5:21 PM

joeyb3878. Living in the past, just like the rest of Filthadelphia. Have you been watching THIS season Joey? Your goon squad isn’t making the playoffs THIS year. Troll elsewhere, BagODonuts. You just turned 35, way to finally get to your IQ!

17. joeyb3878 - Mar 24, 2013 at 9:28 PM

You mad yinzer? I understand why. It must suck to be owned. Thanks for proving my point clown.

• ragingyinzer - Mar 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Owned? LOL. You did see what just happened, didn’t you, Joey? Or are you still watching last year’s games? I understand. You have to play them back slowly so you can understand all the big words.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches