Mar 21, 2013, 8:04 AM EST
The NHL trade deadline is less than two weeks away. Will we see be names like Jarome Iginla dealt, a flurry of trades in general, or are we in for a relatively uneventful deadline day?
It’s hard to say because we’ve never really been in a scenario like this before.
“We have a totally different year than we’ve ever had,” Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford told the NHL.com. “We’re going to have more teams in the race, and so I would suspect that you’re going to pay a premium for players because so many teams are looking for them and these races are going to have a lot of teams in them right until the end.”
Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli would agree with that assessment.
“It’s been so different because everyone is in it and everyone is looking to add,” Chiarelli said. “There are a few teams that aren’t looking to add, but I would say most of them are still in the race.”
When you mix a short season with how close teams are to each other in terms of overall skill thanks to the salary cap, you end up in a situation where almost every team feels like they still got a shot of making the playoffs. Just 10 points separates fourth and last place in the Western Conference.
At the same time, the gap could widen over the next two weeks. Additionally, there are reasons to believe there might be more action over the next two weeks than some would predict.
“It just seems this is the one year too that teams have that extra cap space,” Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero pointed out in an NHL.com interview. “Where a team like us in the last couple of years really didn’t have any cap space and maybe moving forward with the cap going down, we might not have that in the future.”
In fact, nearly every team has more than enough cap space available going into the deadline, based on capgeek’s numbers. Will that unique level of flexibility prove to be the difference? Or will nothing make up for how tight the standings have been?
We’ll find out soon.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:23 PM EST
Kimmo Timonen and Antoine Vermette made their debuts.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:49 PM EST
San Jose beat Montreal 4-0 on Monday.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
An impressive effort for a team going all-in.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:03 PM EST
Then again, Taylor Beck’s helper might have been better.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:14 PM EST
He’ll pair with Sergei Gonchar to start.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:31 PM EST
Adding versatility in a tough West.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:49 PM EST
Quite a rebound from a scary lacerated arm.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:59 PM EST
“We were looking to upgrade, add more of a veteran presence.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:49 PM EST
“It’s just hard to get a deal done, and you see the prices are so high.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was it just a sellers’ market?
Mar 2, 2015, 5:10 PM EST
He gets a no-trade clause in the first year of the deal.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:09 PM EST
“Devastating” news for the Calgary Flames.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:47 PM EST
He was scheduled to become a restricted free agent after this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
All the latest leading up to 3 p.m. ET…
Mar 2, 2015, 3:57 PM EST
They were “adamant” about bolstering their blue line.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:44 PM EST
Second trade of the day for Boston.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:38 PM EST
Former 13th overall pick.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
A 31-year-old for a 23-year-old.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
For the price of a second-round pick in 2017.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (71)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)