Mar 21, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
The NHL trade deadline is less than two weeks away. Will we see be names like Jarome Iginla dealt, a flurry of trades in general, or are we in for a relatively uneventful deadline day?
It’s hard to say because we’ve never really been in a scenario like this before.
“We have a totally different year than we’ve ever had,” Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford told the NHL.com. “We’re going to have more teams in the race, and so I would suspect that you’re going to pay a premium for players because so many teams are looking for them and these races are going to have a lot of teams in them right until the end.”
Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli would agree with that assessment.
“It’s been so different because everyone is in it and everyone is looking to add,” Chiarelli said. “There are a few teams that aren’t looking to add, but I would say most of them are still in the race.”
When you mix a short season with how close teams are to each other in terms of overall skill thanks to the salary cap, you end up in a situation where almost every team feels like they still got a shot of making the playoffs. Just 10 points separates fourth and last place in the Western Conference.
At the same time, the gap could widen over the next two weeks. Additionally, there are reasons to believe there might be more action over the next two weeks than some would predict.
“It just seems this is the one year too that teams have that extra cap space,” Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero pointed out in an NHL.com interview. “Where a team like us in the last couple of years really didn’t have any cap space and maybe moving forward with the cap going down, we might not have that in the future.”
In fact, nearly every team has more than enough cap space available going into the deadline, based on capgeek’s numbers. Will that unique level of flexibility prove to be the difference? Or will nothing make up for how tight the standings have been?
We’ll find out soon.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Colorado could really use a win.
Oct 23, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
“Mirco’s not going anywhere.”
Oct 23, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
And it’s a pretty impressive projected top six.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
Washington’s looked pretty darn good under Barry Trotz.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
“I thought our team was really resilient,” said Dan Hamhuis.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Oct 23, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
“He never back-talked.”
Oct 23, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
So says his coach. (And rightly so.)
Oct 23, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
They’re first and second in the Central Division, and neither has lost in regulation yet.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Postponed in the wake of the Ottawa shootings.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
It’s a special teams extravaganza!
Oct 23, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Says he was never asked to increase ice time of youngsters returning from injury.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
“He’s playing great.”
Oct 23, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
A court date has been set for Dec. 1.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
Probably a figurative slap.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
The Islanders defenseman spent six seasons with the Bruins
Oct 23, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT
He’s in the American Hockey League to start 2014-15.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Looks better than one might expect.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:13 AM EDT
Meanwhile, Buffalo scored!
Oct 23, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT
Pretty good chance for three straight.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 8
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 18
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 80
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (80)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)