Mar 21, 2013, 10:41 PM EDT
The New York Rangers’ frustrations continued to fester on Thursday after a 3-1 loss to the Florida Panthers.
“The penalty kill, starting with me, almost has to be 100 percent because we don’t have the luxury of a lot of goals,” Lundqvist said.
For years, the Rangers seemed like an overachieving team that managed to grind out playoff berths. Now with more talent on paper, it’s not quite working out, a notion that wasn’t lost on the 31-year-old.
“I don’t think teams play great all the time but they find ways to win,” Lundqvist said. “That’s something where we’re lacking a little bit.”
To be fair to the Rangers, they fired 45 shots on Panthers goalie Jacob Markstrom, who stopped all but a Marian Gaborik tally. Gaborik broke an eight-game streak without a goal, yet he seemed as despondent as the rest of the team.
“Definitely I think we were a better team, we just didn’t execute,” Gaborik said. “We have to have these games, that’s the bottom line.”
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 23
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)