Mar 21, 2013, 10:41 PM EDT
The New York Rangers’ frustrations continued to fester on Thursday after a 3-1 loss to the Florida Panthers.
“The penalty kill, starting with me, almost has to be 100 percent because we don’t have the luxury of a lot of goals,” Lundqvist said.
For years, the Rangers seemed like an overachieving team that managed to grind out playoff berths. Now with more talent on paper, it’s not quite working out, a notion that wasn’t lost on the 31-year-old.
“I don’t think teams play great all the time but they find ways to win,” Lundqvist said. “That’s something where we’re lacking a little bit.”
To be fair to the Rangers, they fired 45 shots on Panthers goalie Jacob Markstrom, who stopped all but a Marian Gaborik tally. Gaborik broke an eight-game streak without a goal, yet he seemed as despondent as the rest of the team.
“Definitely I think we were a better team, we just didn’t execute,” Gaborik said. “We have to have these games, that’s the bottom line.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)