Mar 21, 2013, 10:41 PM EST
The New York Rangers’ frustrations continued to fester on Thursday after a 3-1 loss to the Florida Panthers.
“The penalty kill, starting with me, almost has to be 100 percent because we don’t have the luxury of a lot of goals,” Lundqvist said.
For years, the Rangers seemed like an overachieving team that managed to grind out playoff berths. Now with more talent on paper, it’s not quite working out, a notion that wasn’t lost on the 31-year-old.
“I don’t think teams play great all the time but they find ways to win,” Lundqvist said. “That’s something where we’re lacking a little bit.”
To be fair to the Rangers, they fired 45 shots on Panthers goalie Jacob Markstrom, who stopped all but a Marian Gaborik tally. Gaborik broke an eight-game streak without a goal, yet he seemed as despondent as the rest of the team.
“Definitely I think we were a better team, we just didn’t execute,” Gaborik said. “We have to have these games, that’s the bottom line.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)