Lightning angry with Flyers’ Rinaldo, say revenge is coming

Mar 21, 2013, 11:12 AM EDT

Zac Rinaldo #36 of the Philadelphia Flyers and B.J. Crombeen #19 of the Tampa Bay Lightning fight in the first period on February 5, 2013 at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
(February 4, 2013 - Source: Elsa/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

The Tampa Bay Lightning have an axe to grind with Zac Rinaldo.

The Flyers forward has been a thorn in the Bolts’ side throughout this season — cold-cocking BJ Crombeen in a fight, taking out both Victor Hedman and Ryan Malone — and now Tampa players are suggesting retribution is in order.

“Obviously, when he’s hurting guys, you want him to be accountable for his actions,” Crombeen told the Tampa Bay Times. “There’s always a time and place, and it will come.

“You just have to wait for it.”

Though the Bolts and Flyers won’t face each other again this season, Crombeen’s sentiment was echoed by Lightning winger Pierre-Cedric Labrie.

“Sometimes [Rinaldo] just doesn’t think,” he explained. “At some point he has to pay for his bad behavior.”

In case you’re unaware of Rinaldo’s history with the Lightning, let’s go to the video.

First, here’s the incident with Crombeen from Feb. 5:

Both combatants had distinctly different views on the fight.

“Typically when I’ve gotten into fights with guys in that position, you stop throwing,” Crombeen said after the game. “I mean, guys fight different ways, so I’m not really going to say if it was dirty or not.”

When asked about the scrap, Rinaldo said he finished it properly.

“I hit him until he was down,” he told reporters. “I’m not going to hit nobody no matter who they are or what they done, I’ll never hit someone when they’re down. I hit him until he was down. I made sure he was down and that was it.

“I kind of felt bad in case I didn’t stop myself, but I’m pretty sure I did.”

Now fast forward to Monday (Mar. 18), when the Bolts beat the Flyers 4-2 in Tampa. Rinaldo landed big hits on Hedman and Malone, with the latter ending up on injured reserve (shoulder).

Here’s the hit in question:

According to Damian Cristodero of the Times, the Lightning organization reviewed the Rinaldo-Malone hit internally before deeming it clean.

Not that it’s done much to the appease players.

1. killerpgh - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Just do it. Just don’t talk about to the media. Nothing good will come from telling him he is a marked man. It makes him ready for it and opens you up to more discipline if something stupid happens because now you told everyone it’s coming. Just shut up and handle your problems on the ice.

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Agreed. Dumb decision, now the league will have an eagle eye on the next Tampa-Philly matchup. If they wanna get revenge on Rinaldo it will probably have to be an illegal hit bc he rarely has his head down. And I think Crombeen has shown, despite his size, that he’s not quite the fighter Rinaldo is. Whatever they do, it will probably be considered premeditated by League since they just announced it to the world.

• mathieug79 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM

if you look at guys who lead the league in hits, Komarov, Steve Ott, Matt Martin, Luke Schenn, Chris Neil they all take the body, but they mostly do it clean and their intentions are not to hurt players unlike Rinaldo.

This is just my theory, but if the NHL wants increased scoring, the goalie equipment is not the Issue, stop changing the rules, I think the scoring has dropped due to the fact that some teams have salary cap issue, They sign too many big name FA, then their stuck with 3rd and 4th line guys that would typically be AHLers. Most of teams have 3rd and 4th liners who can’t score, all they can do is hit, cycle the puck, and fight. I remember the days where your top line were playing 30 mins a night. Now it seems a lot of coaching staffs roll all 4 lines. Anyways that’s just my opinion!

• hockeywithdrawal - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I agree it would have to be an illegal hit – he seldom touches the puck – it’s not his “job”.

• isithockeyseasonyet - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Idk why you got all those thumbs down, mathieug79, I agree with everything you said

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:54 PM

He scored against the Penguins

• flyers28c - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM

everyone should go and look at the hits again because they are clean, if you dont want to get rocked in the NHL keep your head up, plain and simple. Most of Rinaldo’s hit are vicious but thats part of the game, hes not going after these guys heads or leaving his feet, and the majority of the guys he hits are much bigger than him. So instead of crying about the hits and crombeen just go out and do it, most likely arent going to get him as good as rinaldo got them. Also did Rinaldo ask Crombeen to drop the gloves? I think not, if your gonna drop the gloves be able to deal with the consequences of it, ya win some ya lose some, but dont go after Rinaldo because you got your ass handed to you.

• c0sm0b0z0 - Mar 21, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I agree. The refs will be watching the next meeting closely(whenever that may be), but I also enjoy real, emotion driven talk by NHLers. You dont get to hear it too often.

2. parkway4 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM

They won’t do a thing.

• sabatimus - Mar 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Unless Dale Hunter suddenly becomes their coach now that there’s a vacancy.

3. 950003cups - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Another Islanders / Penguins type of melee brewing? It’s true about Rinaldo being dirty. Not Matt Cooke type of dirty, but pretty ugly at times. He’ll swing a stick in players faces at times, throw a slew foot here and there, and his specialty being blindside hits. As an agitator, he is successful. Sometimes, as a fan, I find myself at The Rock wanting to rip my seat out and throw it at him. I can’t imagine what players wanna do to him.

But if he were on my team, I’d like it (sometimes) unless his antics backfire and result in igniting the other teams energy.

If it does turn in to a Isles/Pens type of brawl, then at least it would be interesting to see Bryzgalov in a goalie fight. Out him in a bear hug. I hear he’s terrified of bears.

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Really? Give me an example of Rinaldo using his stick as a weapon and swinging it at players faces. Or his excessive slew footing. Yeah he hits everything that moves but he’s no Marty McSorley.

• 950003cups - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I’ll give you an example of a slew foot on a star player AFTER the whistle. You’ll probably pretend it’s the only time he’s ever done it, and likely you’ll ask for proof every instance just to make your case. But, I’ll do it anyway.

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Okay, so does Brayden Schenn own a monopoly on the slew-foot market? Cuz I seem to remember Niskanen pulling a similar maneuver on Schenn. It’s not just a Flyers move. But, more importantly, that video has nothing to do with your points about Rinaldo.

• 950003cups - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I’m pretty sure that’s a prime example of what I was talking about. I don’t hate the guy. You’re defending him as if I’m demolishing him. I’m not. But he’s a dirty little bastard. I’m all for it as long as they don’t headhunt like Matt Cooke.

(QUE THE PENS FANS DEFENDERS)

Look, the devils had a ball with guys like Claude Lemieux for years. Regular season he was a sneaky SOB. But playoff time he was a solid goal scorer.

• kyzslew77 - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Lol @ Flyers fans, thumbs downing the video as if it’s not exactly what phillyphanatic77 asked for: Rinaldo slew footing after the whistle. That’s what it is. Deal with it. On the plus side: only 18 games left in Philly’s/Rinaldo’s season, then it’s off to the golf course for the summer!

• tatdue - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I wouldn’t want him on my team! An agitator is a good type of player to have but a guy like him is not. Rinaldo crosses the line because he deliberately tries to hurt people. The Crombeen fight and the numerous blindside hits are proof of that. He won’t last long though because he’ll either do something bad enough that the Flyers themselves will send him back down, or another player will do to him what he does to others, but that won’t be so easy because guys that do the kind of stuff he does always have their heads on a swivel….

• mclovinhockey - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM

So winning a fight is trying to hurt someone? not sure if you know this or not but he hits the guy in the shoulder twice while the guy was falling… the NHL needs rules for fighting cause right now you just fight till it gets broken up. McGinn slowed down on a guy who went to his knees during a fight and because of that Tye is still hurt since the fight ended by McGinn breaking an ocular bone.

• ibieiniid - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM

while I disagree with Rinaldo frequently making the types of dirty plays that you cited, I know where his dirty reputation came from. in the past, he’s had a mean streak where he’d get quite a bit out of line in almost every game. you should maybe watch a bit more of him THIS year though. the kid has really calmed down and settled into a clean agitator role on that team. he draws SO many penalties now. he still gets riled up at times, but I think he’s well on his way to being a routinely clean hard-hitter and fighter.

4. yondo123 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM

One problem here — they don’t play again this year…and Rinaldo and his antics will be in the AHL next year.

• isithockeyseasonyet - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Half of your statement is correct, he won’t be in the ahl next year tho, he’s good at what he does (don’t mistake that for me saying he’s a good player)

5. nunan - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Thornton tuned him up a couple weeks ago. He’s good at the wild-haymaker fights but not so good when the other guy is more of a technical fighter.

6. jpelle82 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

i hope gudas destroys him. rinaldo is a punk, he just has that face you want to punch in. just looking at him you know he is just an a-hole with a little man complex. one of those guys you either love him if he’s on your team or hate him if he isnt.

7. dchambers144 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Why does everyone continue to compare guys like Rinaldo with Cooke. In the past two years (113 games) Cooke has 52 points and 70 PIM while Rinaldo has 13 points and 310 PIM in 92 games. Cooke definitely had his moments in the past, but there is no comparison between these two players now.

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Because Cooke “evolved” his game from being a scumbag to a productive player, and Rinaldo is currently undergoing a similar transformation. Last season I hated Rinaldo, he was totally undisciplined, this year he’s done an excellent job at keeping his emotions in check. Despite what opposing fans say about him being a talentless goon. There might not be a player better at getting under the oppositions skin, and as a result he’s been huge in drawing numerous penalties. Rinaldo is similar to Ott in his agitating ways. Plus he’s only 22, his game is developing. Opposing fans can have a blind hatred for him all they want but he’s gonna be in the league for a long while.

• dchambers144 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I’ll give you that. He is young and does have time to develop. My real point was is that Cooke is actually a pretty good hockey player when he stays away from the cheap hits. He is a good forechecker, can hit hard (and clean) and has a decent scoring touch but doesn’t seem to get credit for it, only for dirty plays several years ago. I will also give credit to Rinaldo for being able to get under teams skin. He is very Sean Avery like in that manner.

• tbell1980 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM

yeah Rinaldo is good at getting under players skin, he’s also good at helping keep the Flyers under .500. Typical Silly Flyers player. Not worried about a cup, just worried about keeping the Flyer image. No cup for you. Stay thirsty my friends….

Go Pens.

• ibieiniid - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM

didn’t see this comment before I posted something similar above. you can tell who has and hasn’t watched the Flyers this year.

• johnstone17 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM

He is twice the player that Carcillo is. I don’t think he’s a dirty player at all. He flies around hitting everybody he can & he has no fear of dropping the gloves. When Carcillo was in West Camden, he was a piece of garbage. This kid han an upside.

• mclovinhockey - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Exactly what I was going to say. At the start of the year I hated having him on the team cause he was getting called for stuff just because the refs knew he was dirty last year even if he didnt do anything that deserved a call. Now the refs have noticed he changed his game. He draws a ton of calls, is working hard and playing very well…. Not saying he is great but he is the exact thing I want on my 4th line.

8. mathieug79 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM

As a lightning fan, I hate Rinaldo, but to get him to pay for his behavior Steve Yzerman will have to bring in a guy that can actually FIGHT!!!!!

• hellohkitteh - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM

GUDAS!!!!! Aulie hasnt had a “bad” fight yet. Malone is awesome (though out). And I enjoyed all of Labrie’s AHL fights.

• jpelle82 - Mar 21, 2013 at 8:32 PM

i looked into it and was surprised gudas never fought him in the ahl, they both have had their fair share of ahl fights. hope he gets a hold of him either way

9. ironyisadeadscene - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I think playing the way he does, fast and wreckless, will eventually catch up to him……and by that, I mean the physical toll it will take on him. He seems unconcerned by threats of retaliation or physicallity.

• hockeywithdrawal - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM

That’s because he’s trying to keep his job. Guys like him are a dying breed, as they should be.

10. malkinrulez - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:48 AM

If the Lightning had a problem with him it should have been handled immediately. The problem is no one stepped up when it happened.

• mathieug79 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:06 PM

The problem was ANYONE who would have fought against him, would have gotten beat up. Crombeen was Ko’ed, Labrie is not a very good fighter. As a Lightning fan, I think this Yzerman needs to get someone who can actually win fights, instead of holding his opponent for 30-40 secs trying not to get Knocked out!

11. malkinrulez - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM

The comparison to Cooke and Rinaldo is they are both agitators. Cooke has had to change his game or be out of the league because he crossed the line too many times. Cooke has more offensive skill but Rinaldo has some skill also. I like watching Rinaldo play and also Simmonds.Rinaldo has a tough job being an agitator , has to play on the edge every night without crossing the line.There will be times where he crosses the line as all agitators do. I for one do enjoy that part of hockey.

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Nice to see a Pens fan not dismiss him completely simply bc they hate him and the Flyers. Most would never admit that Rinaldo has “some skill”, but he does. The kid is a very quick skater and he’s shown an ability to handle the puck that he didn’t last season. He’s a solid contributor and I, for one, am glad he’s on the Flyers cuz I’d hate to see my team play against him.

12. sewell1977 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:00 PM

/thread

• mathieug79 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM

THAT WAS WELL DESERVED!!!!!!!!

• sewell1977 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Oh? Funny, Rinaldo does this and he gets flamed for it.

• mathieug79 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I didn’t say Lecavalier should have done that, but after what Rinaldo did, I’m glad he did! like I said well deserved, unfortunately is wasn’t Rinaldo’s face that was getting punch while he was down!

• sewell1977 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Still, thats like that thing your parents teach you when you’re 5 – don’t lower yourself. If they really thought it was that dirty, its pretty idiotic of their captain of all players to follow suit.

• mathieug79 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Actually I look at it this way. Lecavalier stood up for his teammates exactly what you want from your captain! You guys wouldn’t know what that means because your usually the ones delivering these types of dirty plays!

13. malkinrulez - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM

phillyphanatic77 I agree totally( other than Cooke is a scumbag). Rinaldo as an agitator has a tough job , has to play every night on the edge, some nights he may cross the line but that comes with the territory. The kid can skate and is hard on the forecheck. He and Cooke are the same guy, I believe he will have the same type or close to numbers as his game evolves. It’s easy to sit back and blast guys like Cooke and Rinaldo for split second decisions made at high speed. When your job is to hit you don’t pass up opportunities to deliver a blow. Cooke has learned he has to or his career is over.i don’t envy their job but I do enjoy watching them play.

14. sjsharks66 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Rinaldos quote about the fight makes him sound as dumb as a bag of rocks.

The Malone hit could have been a very dangerous play had Malone not turned at the last second.
    I agree though, Rinaldo is very reckless when he plays. He is going to end up seriously hurting someone one of these days. There is always someone bigger and tougher then you. One of these days Rinaldo is going to find that out the hard way.

15. malkinrulez - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM

phillyphanatic77 didn’t mean to have implied that I don’t believe Rinaldo is skilled. Some skill was a poor choice of words. Just meant right now his skill set offensively , shot wise is less than Cooke. But as u said he is young and with work at it can be at Cookes level or better. Right now Rinaldo is the better skater,

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Oh no I’d say “some skill” is a good way of describing Rinaldo right now, as he mostly relies on force. I wasn’t disagreeing, just found it surprising to see a Pens fan admit there’s atleast a little bit of skill in the kids game. Cooke is way farther along in his development, obviously (since he’s what 34?), but I’m hoping Rinaldo can get close to Cooke’s production. 10+ goal production, plus all the fights, hits, and intimidation would make Rinaldo a valuable asset. If he was able to reach that level he’d remind me of Matthew Barnaby, who I absolutely despised.

16. tackledummy1505 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Wow, do the Tampa Bay Nuns know they’re playing hockey. Absolutely nothing Rinaldo did in either game was illegal or cheap. Sounds like the Bolts got hit well and they have no one to enforce on they’re team so they’re crying to the media to seem tough.

17. malkinrulez - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM

phillyphanatic77 here’s a name for ya-Ulf Samuelsson .My favorite Pens player of all time. Not sure how old you are but also played for Flyers after Pens(which almost killed me). Another guy who played on the edge and hit everything that moved. CRY ULF

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Haha oh yes I remember Ulf. I grew up in the Lindros era so I definitely remember him. Solid contributor to two Pens cup teams. And he played 99-00 with the Flyers, I believe. There’s no question that Rinaldo’s type of game isn’t revolutionary, there have been many that paved the way, Ulf Samuelsson included.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Ah malkinrulez is bringing up some memories. I’ll see your Ulf and raise you one Rick Tocchet. Still have my Tocc jersey from 1991 when he was captain. Another guy who could fight, hit, and score. Coincidently, it broke my heart when he went to the Pens and won a cup lol. I’m just glad he finished up his career in Philly.

18. dropthepuckeh - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I don’t see why there should be revenge for any of these actions. The fight was a clean fight which Rinaldo won. Maybe he could have let up at the end but it is fight – guys have to expect to get hit in the face on occasion. There are plenty of examples of guys going to a knee and then coming back and plastering a guy. I wouldn’t advocate hitting anyone when they are down but this looked like a crazy frenzy of punches – not a cheap shot. As for the hits, its hockey still right? They Lightning already reviewed the film and agreed it was clean. Why the complaining? If you don’t like it play harder or trade to get Rinaldo on your team next year.

I’m not sure it is a great move to let Rinaldo and the Flyers know he is under your skin either. Just saying.

• hockeywithdrawal - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I don’t think very many teams but the Flyers would want him. I don’t think very many fans would overlook that while all this publicity is going on about the Flyers, it’s about this, and not real hockey news…and that the team is still in last place in the Division. I’ve always said they don’t care much about winning – these guys are mostly minus players, aren’t winning, aren’t trying to. They’re out there trying to “be tough”. It’s sad.

I do agree that there shouldn’t be revenge – if they don’t like it, bring someone in and take a proactive approach to snuffing him out. He doesn’t touch the puck, so you’ll have to give it to him, and then eliminate him.

19. hockeywithdrawal - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Rinaldo is a bug and should be exterminated, for sure. Whether they have to bring someone in to do it, it needs done. He won’t last long.

He’s only doing what Laviolette wants him to do, however. Compare Rinaldo’s line (and you can even include producer Zolnierczyk) with the fourth line of the Pens (Adams, Glass, Vitale). The game the Pens fourth line plays is to be physical, get the puck, and hold it in the offensive zone, wear them down by keeping possession. These goons for the Flyers don’t WANT possession – their game is to give you the puck, and hit you, to hurt you.

Before you say it’s legal – it’s not. There’s a function called a “charge” that should eliminate that style of hockey from the NHL level – it’s amateur at best – but it’s rarely called.

Rinaldo will get his. He won’t last long. But they’ll be another dumbas* waiting to take his spot.

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:47 PM

We all know your opinion on Rinaldo. You’ve made it clear on several occasions. You hate him and the Flyers with a passion. We get that, but you’re looking at him from a biased position. Every team has a Rinaldo, and if they don’t, they want one. You saw Buffalo give up Derek Roy, a pure hockey talent, for Steve Ott. It’s part of the game, get over it. Rinaldo is useful and is a solid contributor. I know your rebuttal will be “look at the Flyers record, he sure is helping”, but the Flyers position in the standings has little to do with Rinaldo.

• hockeywithdrawal - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM

We’ll agree to disagree – actually my position does not come from hating Rinaldo OR the Flyers, it comes from watching wayyyyyy more than one man’s share of bantam hockey games. Some kids could care less about the sport, about the purpose of the puck, about what wins games – they are out there just hitting to hit. I see Rinaldo play and wonder how in the hell those kids made it to the NHL. Not trying to express it over and over, it’s just that there’s been 20 articles about it lately.

• sheckyrimshot - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM

here’s a cute stat for you

penalties drawn per 60 minutes
      adams vitale and glass combined – 3.5
      rinaldo – 4

also worth noting, rinaldo has drawn more penalties per game than he has taken so far this year. i’m not saying he’s the second coming of doug gilmour or anything. everyone shouting “wahhhh rinaldo needs to change his game” hasnt been paying attention to him this year. he’s taken FAR fewer dumb penalties this year and looks like he was shot out of a cannon every time he’s on the ice. dont get butthurt because he brings the wood every game.

• hockeywithdrawal - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM

So he’s a thug AND a diver. Actually I’m not being serious there – all the ‘he draws penalties’ and ‘he takes penalties’ (he still takes a lot of dumb penalties, and is still 5th in the entire damn league in PIM’s and tied for 8th or so in minors), is just not what Vitale and/or Glass is out there to do.

• ibieiniid - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:06 PM

you mean THERE WILL be another dumbass? that dumbass might be you, sir.

• hockeywithdrawal - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Yes, I did – and you just might be right.

20. boltsfan777 - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Geez, Philly fan. Why are you so in love with this punk Rinaldo that you defend him like he’s your mom or little brother. Can he do no wrong? I guess you’d like to be just like him.

The fact that you have to constantly jump into these threads as a pack and defend him no matter what indicates he may really be just a punk.

21. thehighcountrybear - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Purses at forty feet…leave the lace hankies at home, we want a fair fight!

22. ml3939 - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I think it is funny the amount of judgment that is cast Rinaldo’s way based on a couple of highlights that show up on this site. He is an aggressive young player trying to find his niche in the league. Right now it seems to be in the role of a pest, not goon, and he is excelling. His defensive abilities have improved as well. No one is saying he is the next Datsyuk or anywhere near that. He has 4 fights all year. He skates hard and hits like a truck. He already has a reputation that he is trying to overcome. If these referenced hits were so “illegal,” the league would be suspending him left and right. Let me guess, he gets preferential treatment but a former MVP like Corey Perry with a suspension years ago does not.

For anyone who has watched most if not all of the Flyers’ games, you would see the changes too. In his last 17 games he has 7 minor penalties, four of which were concurrent with players such as Letang, Ovechkin and Alfredsson. At least one of the other penalties was not a penalty. So realistically he has put his team at a disadvantage twice in the last 17 games while drawing numerous penalties against the opposing teams as he leads the league in penalties drawn per 60 minutes of play.

And for the dumbass who keeps preaching that the Flyers do not care about winning, how do you justify that they are have more wins than any non-original 6 team in league history and have the second highest winning percentage of all time? Quite a remarkable accomplishment for a team not focused on winning. I should have prefaced this by saying this thoughtwithdrawn poster makes baseless claims and accuses you of being a creeper when you attempt to ask her to prove her statements.

• ibieiniid - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM

f’ing solid.

don’t worry about hockeywithdrawal, biggest troll on this site. doesn’t take part in good convos, just bashes on the philly posts.

but the only part I don’t agree with in what you said is trying to compare one suspension situation with another. at this point, the NHL is ALL OVER the place with assigning suspensions. there’s no way to rationalize why they do and don’t suspend certain players.

• ml3939 - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I can’t necessarily disagree with your statement regarding suspensions. It just seems like prior offenses seem to keep players on the radar and is figured into deciding the length of punishments doled out.

Appreciate the support but the troll does not bother me. I just like people to back up their statements or watch them squirm trying to avoid owning up to their idiocy.

23. bricktop02 - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:09 PM

“There’s always a time and place, and it will come” Yeah when Crombeen gets iced-napped again.

• 950003cups - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I remember a few years ago when Mary-Ann Gaborik got pummeled by Carcillo as Dan Girardi sat front row enjoying the entertainment. Tortorella lost his mind. (no surprise) What got the organization really embarrassed was when they asked Carcillo if he was worried someone else would retaliate or jump in as a 3rd man he replied (it was poetic!) “I really don’t think there was anyone out there tonight that would’ve been capable to do anything to me anyway”

Next year Rangers signed Derek Boogaard (RIP) as an answer.

Next year Bolts will most likely employ a bonafied enforcer.

24. letsgopens8771 - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Good. Rinaldo is a piece of trash and is a disgrace to the game (like his teammate Wayne Simmonds who I also hate with a burning passion). He is the type of player Legendary Leafs Bench Boss Punch Imlach would tap on the shoulder and say, “Go start something” (Imlach did that when his team was losing 10-2 to Boston, one of his guys went out and punched Bobby Orr in the orbital bone) when his team is losing. Seriously, when the Flyers start losing, he goes out and takes cheapshots and tries to instigate. That is the only way that Philthy can win.

• 950003cups - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:27 PM

say what you want about Wayne Simmonds. The guy is a great all around hockey player. He can skate, score, fight, hit, and goes hard in front of the net, and not afraid to go in to the corners. His defensive game is not bad either. If you had him on your team, you would be happy with him. He’s no cheap shot artist either.

He would be a great Devil. Question is, how do we pry him from Philly?

ALSO: The “Seriously, when the Flyers start losing, he goes out and takes cheapshots and tries to instigate. That is the only way that Philthy can win.”

Their record tells a different story. Also, its only if your team is too undisciplined to realize whats happening and avoid the fights. That’s how NJ beat them in the playoffs last year.

• blkeskimo1785 - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Isn’t that what the Pens did when they were getting outplayed in Game 3 of last season’s quarterfinals, against Philly?

25. jimw81 - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Where is the LOLicopter when you need it.

26. mclovinhockey - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Nothing about any of these was something for him to be held accountable for. He won a fight and had two hard, clean hits.
    All Tampa did was make sure any borderline calls against Tampa when they play Philly will result in automatic suspensions because now everything is considered premeditated.

Dumb move by Tampa….. Very dumb move

27. hockeyissweet - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM

way to man up crombeen. wait until you dont play any more games against him, then cry foul to the media. u had plenty of chances to drop the gloves a few days ago against him. where were ya?

28. ironman721 - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM

🔔🔊let ‘s get ready to rumble!!!

29. raoool - Mar 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM

pfft Crombeen picks a fight and then beats his head against Rinaldo’s knuckles for a while. He going after those dang knuckles again?

30. archarya - Mar 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Crombeen has 3 inches and 30 pounds on Zac. This is just some whiny bs. Even the ref said the fight was clean. Vid of the ref conversation.

31. jagrbomb18 - Mar 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Flyers fans know about rinaldo. All other fans see is him destroying their teams players. The dude plays hard. He hits he fights and skates hard. The dude isn’t even six foot but he takes on guys like Thornton. He’s a tough kid. By the way that bs about Thornton being technically sound? How’s being 5 inches taller sound as being the difference in that fight you moron.

32. alswingman - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:43 AM

After Rinaldo’s playing career ends he should go back to school. They do teach english in Hamilton so he needs to and pay attention this time.

“I kind of felt bad in case I didn’t stop myself, but I’m pretty sure I did.”

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D