Mar 21, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
“After Hedman passes the puck, Lupul approaches from the side and recklessly targets Hedman’s head by elevating and making it the principle point of contact,” said Rob Blake of the NHL’s disciplinary department.
Lupul was given a two-minute minor for illegal check to the head on the play, while Hedman left momentarily before returning to action.
Following the game, Lupul said targeting Hedman’s head was unintentional and tried to defend the hit.
“I didn’t realize I got him in the head,” he told reporters. “I saw he was hurt — again, I gotta see the replay but by no means did I go after and try and hit him in the head.
“I wasn’t even over there to hit him, he kinda came back towards the middle at the last second, and it’s unfortunate.”
Blake said Hedman being uninjured played a role in the ruling, as did the fact Lupul had no past disciplinary incidents during his nine-year NHL career.
Lupul will now miss Toronto’s next two games — Thursday in Buffalo, Saturday vs. Boston — and will fork over $45,945.94 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)