Mar 21, 2013, 1:33 PM EST
For the second time this year, the Maple Leafs have dispatched a highly paid NHL veteran to the minors.
On Thursday, defenseman Mike Komisarek joined Tim Connolly as the newest member of the AHL’s Toronto Marlies. Komisarek went through waivers unclaimed and, having waived his no-movement clause yesterday, will now try to get his career back on track in the American League.
Connolly, in the final year of a deal that pays $4.75 million annually, has been with the Marlies since January. Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reports Komisarek is expected to be in the Marlies lineup on Saturday when they take on Chicago.
“Mike is excited and looking for the opportunity to play games and compete,” said his agent, Matt Keator, in a statement. “The Leafs handled the situation very well and we’ll see where things go.”
The hope now is that Komisarek can play enough — and play well enough — to revive interest in his services.
The 31-year-old rearguard has only appeared in four games this season, and just 45 the year prior, thanks to injuries and ineffective play.
One thing standing in Komisarek’s way? His contract.
His five-year, $22.5 million deal doesn’t expire until 2014, meaning any team interested in acquiring him would have to swallow his $4.5 million cap hit (and $3.5 million salary for this year and 2013-14.)
That’s a lot of money to take on, especially with the salary cap ceiling dropping to $64.3 million next season.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)