Mar 21, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have been a major disappointment this season, but Flyers GM Paul Holmgren isn’t about to make an impulse buy on the outside chance that it will propel his team into the playoffs.
“We’re fairly far back right now,” Holmgren admitted to NHL.com. “If there is something there that will help us now and in the future I’d probably do that, but I’m not looking for anything.”
Philadelphia managed to eke out a critical win against the New Jersey Devils on Friday, but they followed it up with a 4-2 loss versus the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday.
Now they’re tied for 11th place in the Eastern Conference with Tampa Bay. The Flyers are also five points behind the eighth place New York Rangers, even though Philadelphia has played in one more game.
Philadelphia is in the middle of a five-game break and then they’ll enter another big stretch where they’ll battle Pittsburgh, the Rangers, the Islanders, Boston and Washington within the span of just eight days.
A strong showing in that stretch might convince Holmgren to make a move, but as it is, it looks like the Flyers are on their own as they attempt to overcome the odds.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)