Mar 21, 2013, 10:33 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers have been a major disappointment this season, but Flyers GM Paul Holmgren isn’t about to make an impulse buy on the outside chance that it will propel his team into the playoffs.
“We’re fairly far back right now,” Holmgren admitted to NHL.com. “If there is something there that will help us now and in the future I’d probably do that, but I’m not looking for anything.”
Philadelphia managed to eke out a critical win against the New Jersey Devils on Friday, but they followed it up with a 4-2 loss versus the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday.
Now they’re tied for 11th place in the Eastern Conference with Tampa Bay. The Flyers are also five points behind the eighth place New York Rangers, even though Philadelphia has played in one more game.
Philadelphia is in the middle of a five-game break and then they’ll enter another big stretch where they’ll battle Pittsburgh, the Rangers, the Islanders, Boston and Washington within the span of just eight days.
A strong showing in that stretch might convince Holmgren to make a move, but as it is, it looks like the Flyers are on their own as they attempt to overcome the odds.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)