Mar 21, 2013, 10:33 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers have been a major disappointment this season, but Flyers GM Paul Holmgren isn’t about to make an impulse buy on the outside chance that it will propel his team into the playoffs.
“We’re fairly far back right now,” Holmgren admitted to NHL.com. “If there is something there that will help us now and in the future I’d probably do that, but I’m not looking for anything.”
Philadelphia managed to eke out a critical win against the New Jersey Devils on Friday, but they followed it up with a 4-2 loss versus the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday.
Now they’re tied for 11th place in the Eastern Conference with Tampa Bay. The Flyers are also five points behind the eighth place New York Rangers, even though Philadelphia has played in one more game.
Philadelphia is in the middle of a five-game break and then they’ll enter another big stretch where they’ll battle Pittsburgh, the Rangers, the Islanders, Boston and Washington within the span of just eight days.
A strong showing in that stretch might convince Holmgren to make a move, but as it is, it looks like the Flyers are on their own as they attempt to overcome the odds.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 8
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 100
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 31
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (102)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)