Mar 21, 2013, 11:28 AM EDT
The struggling Carolina Hurricanes will get a big boost tonight — Tuomo Ruutu will make his season debut.
‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller made the announcement on Thursday morning, uplifting news given his team has lost four straight and is currently without starting goalie Cam Ward (knee), top defenseman Justin Faulk (knee), forward Chad LaRose (concussion) and bueliner Joe Corvo (lower body).
Ruutu, 30, has missed all 29 games this year after undergoing hip surgery in early January.
The procedure was supposed keep Ruutuu shelved for the year — “certainly through the regular season,” ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said at the time — but the gritty Finn has rehabbed strongly and appears well ahead of schedule.
Getting him back should help Carolina in several facets of the game.
Ruutu’s a solid scorer (18 goals, 34 points last season; 57 points in 2010-11) that provides a physical presence up front, leading all Carolina forwards in hits last year, with 151.
As for where he’ll play?
Muller was hesitant to break up the top line of Eric Staal-Alex Semin-Jiri Tlusty — the trio has been scoring in bunches — but suggested Ruutu could get a look on the team’s second line next to Jordan Staal and Jeff Skinner.
“We need to see where [Ruutu] is at,” Muller told the Raleigh News and Observer. “If he comes back and he’s playing at the level he’s capable of, initially [the second line] is where you have him penciled in.”
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)