Mar 21, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
The Devils finished that first period up 1-0 thanks to that flukey score despite the fact that the Hurricanes out-shot them 11-5. Carolina managed just seven shots on goal in the next two periods, yet the lowest point likely came with about a minute left, as goalie Dan Ellis left the game with what looked like a cut on his leg.
(Replays indicate that he might have cut himself with his own skate, which might serve as another metaphor for the Hurricanes’ plight.)
Overall, the Hurricanes are on a five-game losing streak and might be without their top two goalies if Ellis’ issue is anywhere near as bad as Cam Ward‘s problems.
Either way, it was a rough Thursday for Carolina, who at least get a break as the team’s next game comes on Tuesday against the Winnipeg Jets.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5