Mar 21, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
The Devils finished that first period up 1-0 thanks to that flukey score despite the fact that the Hurricanes out-shot them 11-5. Carolina managed just seven shots on goal in the next two periods, yet the lowest point likely came with about a minute left, as goalie Dan Ellis left the game with what looked like a cut on his leg.
(Replays indicate that he might have cut himself with his own skate, which might serve as another metaphor for the Hurricanes’ plight.)
Overall, the Hurricanes are on a five-game losing streak and might be without their top two goalies if Ellis’ issue is anywhere near as bad as Cam Ward‘s problems.
Either way, it was a rough Thursday for Carolina, who at least get a break as the team’s next game comes on Tuesday against the Winnipeg Jets.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)