Mar 21, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
The Devils finished that first period up 1-0 thanks to that flukey score despite the fact that the Hurricanes out-shot them 11-5. Carolina managed just seven shots on goal in the next two periods, yet the lowest point likely came with about a minute left, as goalie Dan Ellis left the game with what looked like a cut on his leg.
(Replays indicate that he might have cut himself with his own skate, which might serve as another metaphor for the Hurricanes’ plight.)
Overall, the Hurricanes are on a five-game losing streak and might be without their top two goalies if Ellis’ issue is anywhere near as bad as Cam Ward‘s problems.
Either way, it was a rough Thursday for Carolina, who at least get a break as the team’s next game comes on Tuesday against the Winnipeg Jets.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 24
- Mike Richards clears waivers 29
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 54
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)