Mar 21, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
The Devils finished that first period up 1-0 thanks to that flukey score despite the fact that the Hurricanes out-shot them 11-5. Carolina managed just seven shots on goal in the next two periods, yet the lowest point likely came with about a minute left, as goalie Dan Ellis left the game with what looked like a cut on his leg.
(Replays indicate that he might have cut himself with his own skate, which might serve as another metaphor for the Hurricanes’ plight.)
Overall, the Hurricanes are on a five-game losing streak and might be without their top two goalies if Ellis’ issue is anywhere near as bad as Cam Ward‘s problems.
Either way, it was a rough Thursday for Carolina, who at least get a break as the team’s next game comes on Tuesday against the Winnipeg Jets.
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 5
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 7
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 15
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 27
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)