Mar 21, 2013, 4:53 PM EDT
The Vice President of Corporate Sponsorship and Partnership Marketing with the New York Islanders is excited about the team moving to Brooklyn in 2015.
After all, the just-opened Barclays Center will present the money-losing team with new corporate sponsorship and partnership opportunities. Which is something you’d expect the Vice President of Corporate Sponsorship and Partnership Marketing to be excited about.
Of course, that same person also scored hundreds of goals and won four Stanley Cups playing at Nassau Coliseum, so there’s some sadness too.
His name is Mike Bossy, by the way.
Bossy spoke with SportsBusiness Journal recently about the club’s move to Brooklyn after next season.
“There’s no doubt that it’s a big move, in the sense that, as I tell people, we’re moving 20 miles from Nassau Coliseum,” Bossy said. “But I think it’s a world of difference. As far as I’m concerned in my role, it’s going to open up a lot of new and different opportunities for the Islanders. There’s a whole bunch of different corporate sponsors that we will be able to approach, not only because of our location, but I think because of the beautiful building that we’re moving to.
“In the back of my mind of course I’m a bit nostalgic and feel for the Long Island fans who are disappointed that their team is moving to Brooklyn. There’s no doubt that I made my name, I am who I am today, because of this building and the team that I played on in this building and the four Stanley Cups that we won.”
It should be interesting to see if the Islanders can turn business around in their new location. Even with a star like John Tavares, it’ll be tough to get back to Stanley Cup contention without increasing their payroll. Owner Charles Wang had an excuse to pinch pennies in the team’s current location. In a brand new building, the fans will expect more.
May 25, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
It might be tough to gauge the right price for him.
May 25, 2013, 11:37 PM EDT
That phrase is more fun than “turning the other cheek.”
May 25, 2013, 11:17 PM EDT
Just ask Bryan Bickell.
May 25, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT
Did Chicago just flip the switch?
May 25, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
He’s clearly embracing the role of underdog.
May 25, 2013, 10:29 PM EDT
He’s been the head coach of AHL Toronto since 2009.
May 25, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
Detroit’s goalie made some especially challenging ones.
May 25, 2013, 10:06 PM EDT
May 25, 2013, 9:36 PM EDT
At least he’s still rich and handsome.
May 25, 2013, 9:07 PM EDT
He also thinks the Rangers faced an identity crisis.
May 25, 2013, 8:54 PM EDT
No other defenseman has four goals in first five playoff games.
May 25, 2013, 8:34 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla’s name might come up.
May 25, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Torey Krug might eat for free in Boston.
May 25, 2013, 7:07 PM EDT
He took a puck and maybe a stick to the kisser.
May 25, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
Impressive flash of the glove by Hank.
May 25, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
New York Rangers forward was stirring the pot for a while.
May 25, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT
Looks like Dougie Hamilton is the odd man out.
May 25, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
He’s been out with a broken hand.
May 25, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
He avoided a fight in Game 4.
May 25, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Desperation calls for tinkering.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic