Mar 21, 2013, 6:36 PM EST
Apparently Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman is taking his team’s big problems in their own end quite literally.
The Bolts signed 6-foot-8, 225 lbs. defenseman Andrej Sustr to a two-year entry level contract on Thursday, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
(The Tampa Tribune’s Erik Erlendsson notes that the terms of the deal might not be finalized for a few days.)
Sustr, 22, just wrapped up his junior year with the University of Nebraska-Omaha. As Erlendsson points out, this is the second year in a row that Tampa Bay landed a prominent college free agent; the Lightning landed J.T. Brown last year.
The Czech-born defenseman scored nine goals and 16 assists for 25 points in 39 games, collecting a +16 rating in the process.
Perhaps Yzerman has a dream scenario of oversized defensemen patrolling his blueline, as key cog Victor Hedman stands at 6-foot-6.
In other Lightning news, RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports that the team recalled goalie Cedrick Desjardins from the AHL.
(Sustr photo via UNO’s Web site.)
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 2
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)