Mar 21, 2013, 6:36 PM EDT
Apparently Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman is taking his team’s big problems in their own end quite literally.
The Bolts signed 6-foot-8, 225 lbs. defenseman Andrej Sustr to a two-year entry level contract on Thursday, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
(The Tampa Tribune’s Erik Erlendsson notes that the terms of the deal might not be finalized for a few days.)
Sustr, 22, just wrapped up his junior year with the University of Nebraska-Omaha. As Erlendsson points out, this is the second year in a row that Tampa Bay landed a prominent college free agent; the Lightning landed J.T. Brown last year.
The Czech-born defenseman scored nine goals and 16 assists for 25 points in 39 games, collecting a +16 rating in the process.
Perhaps Yzerman has a dream scenario of oversized defensemen patrolling his blueline, as key cog Victor Hedman stands at 6-foot-6.
In other Lightning news, RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports that the team recalled goalie Cedrick Desjardins from the AHL.
(Sustr photo via UNO’s Web site.)
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)