Mar 21, 2013, 6:36 PM EST
Apparently Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman is taking his team’s big problems in their own end quite literally.
The Bolts signed 6-foot-8, 225 lbs. defenseman Andrej Sustr to a two-year entry level contract on Thursday, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
(The Tampa Tribune’s Erik Erlendsson notes that the terms of the deal might not be finalized for a few days.)
Sustr, 22, just wrapped up his junior year with the University of Nebraska-Omaha. As Erlendsson points out, this is the second year in a row that Tampa Bay landed a prominent college free agent; the Lightning landed J.T. Brown last year.
The Czech-born defenseman scored nine goals and 16 assists for 25 points in 39 games, collecting a +16 rating in the process.
Perhaps Yzerman has a dream scenario of oversized defensemen patrolling his blueline, as key cog Victor Hedman stands at 6-foot-6.
In other Lightning news, RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports that the team recalled goalie Cedrick Desjardins from the AHL.
(Sustr photo via UNO’s Web site.)
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (64)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)