Mar 21, 2013, 6:36 PM EDT
Apparently Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman is taking his team’s big problems in their own end quite literally.
The Bolts signed 6-foot-8, 225 lbs. defenseman Andrej Sustr to a two-year entry level contract on Thursday, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
(The Tampa Tribune’s Erik Erlendsson notes that the terms of the deal might not be finalized for a few days.)
Sustr, 22, just wrapped up his junior year with the University of Nebraska-Omaha. As Erlendsson points out, this is the second year in a row that Tampa Bay landed a prominent college free agent; the Lightning landed J.T. Brown last year.
The Czech-born defenseman scored nine goals and 16 assists for 25 points in 39 games, collecting a +16 rating in the process.
Perhaps Yzerman has a dream scenario of oversized defensemen patrolling his blueline, as key cog Victor Hedman stands at 6-foot-6.
In other Lightning news, RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports that the team recalled goalie Cedrick Desjardins from the AHL.
(Sustr photo via UNO’s Web site.)
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)