Mar 21, 2013, 6:36 PM EDT
Apparently Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman is taking his team’s big problems in their own end quite literally.
The Bolts signed 6-foot-8, 225 lbs. defenseman Andrej Sustr to a two-year entry level contract on Thursday, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
(The Tampa Tribune’s Erik Erlendsson notes that the terms of the deal might not be finalized for a few days.)
Sustr, 22, just wrapped up his junior year with the University of Nebraska-Omaha. As Erlendsson points out, this is the second year in a row that Tampa Bay landed a prominent college free agent; the Lightning landed J.T. Brown last year.
The Czech-born defenseman scored nine goals and 16 assists for 25 points in 39 games, collecting a +16 rating in the process.
Perhaps Yzerman has a dream scenario of oversized defensemen patrolling his blueline, as key cog Victor Hedman stands at 6-foot-6.
In other Lightning news, RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports that the team recalled goalie Cedrick Desjardins from the AHL.
(Sustr photo via UNO’s Web site.)
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights