Mar 20, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Just in case you had any doubts, the Minnesota Wild won’t be trading Niklas Backstrom or Matt Cullen, even though the 35-year-old goalie and 36-year-old forward, respectively, are pending unrestricted free agents.
“Oh God, no,” general manager Chuck Fletcher said, per the Star Tribune. “Backy’s been outstanding. He’s our No. 1 goalie. Cullen’s been a big part of our team. That’s the type of guy every team in the league wants to add for a playoff run.”
It doesn’t sound like Fletcher is planning to be a major player leading up to the April 3 trade deadline.
The way the Wild are playing — 10 wins in their last 14 games, vaulting them into first place in the Northwest Division — he might not want to mess with success.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)