Mar 20, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
Even down by a man, the New York Rangers showed amazing determination and desperation to get the first goal early in Tuesday’s game against the New Jersey Devils.
Hedberg was forced to battle Stepan for the puck and while he succeeded in robbing him of a potential empty-netter, he wasn’t able to get the puck out of the zone like he had initially intended.
As Hedberg retreated back to the crease, Stepan continued to fight for the puck and finally attempted a centering pass, which was batted out of midair by defenseman Michael Del Zotto for the first goal of the game.
You can watch the entire sequence below, including a lucky break Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist had moments earlier when a shot bounced off the top of his stick, hit the post, and just barely stayed out of the net:
That proved to be the difference on Tuesday as the Rangers earned a critical 3-2 victory.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50