Mar 20, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
Even down by a man, the New York Rangers showed amazing determination and desperation to get the first goal early in Tuesday’s game against the New Jersey Devils.
Hedberg was forced to battle Stepan for the puck and while he succeeded in robbing him of a potential empty-netter, he wasn’t able to get the puck out of the zone like he had initially intended.
As Hedberg retreated back to the crease, Stepan continued to fight for the puck and finally attempted a centering pass, which was batted out of midair by defenseman Michael Del Zotto for the first goal of the game.
You can watch the entire sequence below, including a lucky break Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist had moments earlier when a shot bounced off the top of his stick, hit the post, and just barely stayed out of the net:
That proved to be the difference on Tuesday as the Rangers earned a critical 3-2 victory.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 8
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 37
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 89
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (89)