Mar 20, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
Even down by a man, the New York Rangers showed amazing determination and desperation to get the first goal early in Tuesday’s game against the New Jersey Devils.
Hedberg was forced to battle Stepan for the puck and while he succeeded in robbing him of a potential empty-netter, he wasn’t able to get the puck out of the zone like he had initially intended.
As Hedberg retreated back to the crease, Stepan continued to fight for the puck and finally attempted a centering pass, which was batted out of midair by defenseman Michael Del Zotto for the first goal of the game.
You can watch the entire sequence below, including a lucky break Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist had moments earlier when a shot bounced off the top of his stick, hit the post, and just barely stayed out of the net:
That proved to be the difference on Tuesday as the Rangers earned a critical 3-2 victory.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 58
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 5
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 29
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 15
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination