Mar 20, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
Travel to and from Sochi, Russia, for the 2014 Winter Olympics continues to be an issue for ongoing negotiations as to whether the National Hockey League players will participate.
According to a piece in the Globe and Mail by Allan Maki on Wednesday, the NHL would have to shut down operations for approximately 18 days and that weather and limited number of serviceable airports could mean that extra days to travel in and out of Sochi could be necessary.
In an e-mail to the Globe and Mail, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly wrote: “Travel for players is a meaningful aspect of our ongoing discussions.”
Daly recently traveled to Sochi to visit the Olympic venues, although talks haven’t gone beyond the “conceptual stage.”
The issue of NHL players participating in the upcoming Olympics – that would it the fifth straight Winter Games – has been ongoing since the league and the NHLPA signed the new collective bargaining agreement.
The league, its players association, the International Ice Hockey Federation and the International Olympic Committee have all had a hand in negotiations. It was reported last month by TSN’s Bob McKenzie that a deal to send NHL players to Sochi was a “foregone conclusion.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)