Mar 20, 2013, 12:09 PM EDT
Losers of four straight, the Carolina Hurricanes are no longer the top team in the Southeast Division. That spot now belongs to the Winnipeg Jets, who grabbed it Tuesday with a 3-1 win over the Bruins at the MTS Centre.
The Hurricanes also played last night, dropping a 4-1 decision at home to the NHL’s worst squad, Florida.
That game, by the way, was scoreless after two periods.
“They outworked us. That’s all it comes down to,” Carolina goalie Dan Ellis said. “You look at their lineup, they don’t have any superstars. They’re all injured. They come out, they stick to a game plan, they execute and they work. That’s what beat us.”
Without injured starting goalie Cam Ward, the last thing the Hurricanes needed was to have their offense dry up. But that’s exactly what’s happened, as they’ve managed just five goals during their four-game skid.
Carolina hosts New Jersey tomorrow, then has four days off to prepare for a visit from the Jets.
The rest may serve the ‘Canes well.
“I thought our effort and our compete was there,” captain Eric Staal said after last night’s game.
“We looked a little worn down, but we were staying with our structure and our system – zero-zero game going into the third period – then some mental mistakes and it ends up in the back of your net.”
Apr 26, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
Brian Elliott is on in relief.
Apr 26, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
That’s one Allen has to have.
Apr 26, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He suffered two concussions this season.
Apr 26, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Habs and Wild look to advance with Game 6 wins.
Apr 26, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
The newly appointed Edmonton executive is already busy in his new role.
Apr 26, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Eric Fehr would be ready for the second round.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Philly fired Craig Berube on April 17.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He last played at the 2006 tournament.
Apr 26, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play the second half of Friday night’s win.
Apr 26, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
Chorney and Dumoulin could also head back to Wilkes-Barre for their playoff run.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
He’s been a healthy scratch for three games.
Apr 26, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Blues and Sens need wins to force Game 7
Apr 26, 2015, 12:07 AM EDT
Another big rally at the Saddledome.
Apr 25, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
A six-game series that felt like (at least) seven.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:31 PM EDT
Wild stuff at the Saddledome tonight.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Vancouver looking to avoid elimination for the second straight game.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Zero goals in five playoff games.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
A healthy tally.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Putting on a clinic.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Corey Crawford’s back in.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)