Mar 20, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
While the Chicago Blackhawks have been grabbing most of the headlines in 2013, the Anaheim Ducks aren’t all that far behind in the standings.
“It’s a package of everything,” Selanne said. “Bruce [Boudreau] has been unbelievable. He tries to feed the confidence and the right feelings. All the leaders are pushing everybody, and everyone is chipping in. That’s what it takes.”
The 42-year-old icon explains some of Boudreau’s methods, including a little game where he selects certain combinations by pulling names out of a hat.
” … The way [Bruce] is shaking the hat and pulling those names out for different combinations, it has to be working,” Selanne said. “He has a deep hat. [Laughs]. It’s funny, but that’s how you get everybody going.”
One cannot help but wonder: how does this version of the Ducks compare to the team that won the franchise’s only Stanley Cup in 2007?
“If you look at how deep we’ve been and how solid we’ve been even in the bad games, we find the ways to win the games, like back then,” Selanne said. “[We have] two great goaltenders. It’s all the feelings that create the confidence like I’ve been talking about. I’ve always said that [with] one line, you can have fun. Two lines and you can go to the playoffs and have some success. But if you have three lines, you’re a championship team or a contender. That’s what has happened here.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 19
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)