Mar 20, 2013, 5:14 PM EST
Dan Boyle has heard all the trade rumors, and he wants to make one thing clear — he wants to stay in San Jose.
“This is where I want to be,” the veteran defenseman said today, per CSNBayArea.com. “I don’t want to be anywhere else. You guys have been with me for five years and you know what I bring to the table. I don’t want to be anywhere else. It’s not fun to hear that.
“The only other time my name was involved was five years ago. Sometimes where there’s smoke there’s fire, and I hope in this case, it’s not the case. It’s hard not to pay attention to that stuff.”
Boyle is signed through the end of next season to a contract with a cap hit and salary of $6.67 million. The 36-year-old has four goals and eight assists in 26 games this season while averaging 23:21 of ice time.
Even with his offensive numbers in decline, Boyle would still garner good interest on the trade market. And given the Sharks’ play the last month and a half — San Jose’s record is an awful 5-10-6 since a perfect 7-0-0 start — at least one prominent member of the media believes they could use a “fresh coat of paint.”
Writes ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun of Boyle: “He’d be a valuable addition to a contender, that’s for sure. And while I’m not sure people still consider the New York Rangers contenders or not, he’s that top-four, right-handed D-man the Blueshirts could sure use.”
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 21
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 20
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 45
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9