Mar 20, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
Dan Boyle has heard all the trade rumors, and he wants to make one thing clear — he wants to stay in San Jose.
“This is where I want to be,” the veteran defenseman said today, per CSNBayArea.com. “I don’t want to be anywhere else. You guys have been with me for five years and you know what I bring to the table. I don’t want to be anywhere else. It’s not fun to hear that.
“The only other time my name was involved was five years ago. Sometimes where there’s smoke there’s fire, and I hope in this case, it’s not the case. It’s hard not to pay attention to that stuff.”
Boyle is signed through the end of next season to a contract with a cap hit and salary of $6.67 million. The 36-year-old has four goals and eight assists in 26 games this season while averaging 23:21 of ice time.
Even with his offensive numbers in decline, Boyle would still garner good interest on the trade market. And given the Sharks’ play the last month and a half — San Jose’s record is an awful 5-10-6 since a perfect 7-0-0 start — at least one prominent member of the media believes they could use a “fresh coat of paint.”
Writes ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun of Boyle: “He’d be a valuable addition to a contender, that’s for sure. And while I’m not sure people still consider the New York Rangers contenders or not, he’s that top-four, right-handed D-man the Blueshirts could sure use.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5