Mar 20, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
Dan Boyle has heard all the trade rumors, and he wants to make one thing clear — he wants to stay in San Jose.
“This is where I want to be,” the veteran defenseman said today, per CSNBayArea.com. “I don’t want to be anywhere else. You guys have been with me for five years and you know what I bring to the table. I don’t want to be anywhere else. It’s not fun to hear that.
“The only other time my name was involved was five years ago. Sometimes where there’s smoke there’s fire, and I hope in this case, it’s not the case. It’s hard not to pay attention to that stuff.”
Boyle is signed through the end of next season to a contract with a cap hit and salary of $6.67 million. The 36-year-old has four goals and eight assists in 26 games this season while averaging 23:21 of ice time.
Even with his offensive numbers in decline, Boyle would still garner good interest on the trade market. And given the Sharks’ play the last month and a half — San Jose’s record is an awful 5-10-6 since a perfect 7-0-0 start — at least one prominent member of the media believes they could use a “fresh coat of paint.”
Writes ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun of Boyle: “He’d be a valuable addition to a contender, that’s for sure. And while I’m not sure people still consider the New York Rangers contenders or not, he’s that top-four, right-handed D-man the Blueshirts could sure use.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)