Mar 20, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
Dan Boyle has heard all the trade rumors, and he wants to make one thing clear — he wants to stay in San Jose.
“This is where I want to be,” the veteran defenseman said today, per CSNBayArea.com. “I don’t want to be anywhere else. You guys have been with me for five years and you know what I bring to the table. I don’t want to be anywhere else. It’s not fun to hear that.
“The only other time my name was involved was five years ago. Sometimes where there’s smoke there’s fire, and I hope in this case, it’s not the case. It’s hard not to pay attention to that stuff.”
Boyle is signed through the end of next season to a contract with a cap hit and salary of $6.67 million. The 36-year-old has four goals and eight assists in 26 games this season while averaging 23:21 of ice time.
Even with his offensive numbers in decline, Boyle would still garner good interest on the trade market. And given the Sharks’ play the last month and a half — San Jose’s record is an awful 5-10-6 since a perfect 7-0-0 start — at least one prominent member of the media believes they could use a “fresh coat of paint.”
Writes ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun of Boyle: “He’d be a valuable addition to a contender, that’s for sure. And while I’m not sure people still consider the New York Rangers contenders or not, he’s that top-four, right-handed D-man the Blueshirts could sure use.”
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)