Mar 20, 2013, 8:04 AM EST
Throughout the season, NBCSN will feature the NHL’s fiercest rivalries on Wednesday nights. Tonight the Minnesota Wild will head to Joe Louis Arena for a match against the Detroit Red Wings at 7:30 p.m. ET.
The Red Wings looked like they had a shot in the Zach Parise and Ryan Suter sweepstakes last summer, but of course, that didn’t come to pass. Instead, a new era has started in Minnesota while Detroit struggles to keep its remarkable 21-season playoff streak alive.
Detroit hasn’t faded since Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement, nor have the Wild looked like Stanley Cup favorites just yet. Both franchises have demonstrated highs and lows this season, exposed areas of great concern and have made optimists out of many during other stretches.
As we start to power towards the end of the season though, both the Red Wings and the Wild are in the heart of the pack that will battle for everything from fourth to last place in the Western Conference. For Minnesota, there’s also a chance that they’ll come out on top in the relatively weak Northwest Division and secure the third seed.
The Red Wings’ greatest task tonight will likely be containing Suter and forward Devin Setoguchi. Both players have been superb lately, with Setoguchi in particular shaking off a cold start to the 2013 campaign by scoring six goals and 12 points in his last 11 games.
Detroit is expected to counter with goaltender Jimmy Howard, who has a 9-2-22 record, 1.96 GAA, and .917 save percentage in 13 career starts against Minnesota.
Both teams are on winning streak and this is one of those matches that could go either way. With the two teams so close in the standings, this might also end up serving as a first-round playoff preview.
Probable goaltenders: DET – Howard (12-7-4, 2.42 GAA, .917 SV%) | MIN – Niklas Backstrom (14-7-2, 2.34 GAA, .915 SV%)
Detroit – Forwards: Patrick Eaves (jaw), Mikael Samuelsson (finger), Todd Bertuzzi (back), Darren Helm (back) Defensemen: Kyle Quincey (face), Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder)
Minnesota – Forwards: Michael Rupp (lower body) Defensemen: Tom Gilbert (undisclosed) Goaltending: Josh Harding (symptoms related to multiple sclerosis)
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 83
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (83)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)