Mar 20, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
Throughout the season, NBCSN will feature the NHL’s fiercest rivalries on Wednesday nights. Tonight the Minnesota Wild will head to Joe Louis Arena for a match against the Detroit Red Wings at 7:30 p.m. ET.
The Red Wings looked like they had a shot in the Zach Parise and Ryan Suter sweepstakes last summer, but of course, that didn’t come to pass. Instead, a new era has started in Minnesota while Detroit struggles to keep its remarkable 21-season playoff streak alive.
Detroit hasn’t faded since Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement, nor have the Wild looked like Stanley Cup favorites just yet. Both franchises have demonstrated highs and lows this season, exposed areas of great concern and have made optimists out of many during other stretches.
As we start to power towards the end of the season though, both the Red Wings and the Wild are in the heart of the pack that will battle for everything from fourth to last place in the Western Conference. For Minnesota, there’s also a chance that they’ll come out on top in the relatively weak Northwest Division and secure the third seed.
The Red Wings’ greatest task tonight will likely be containing Suter and forward Devin Setoguchi. Both players have been superb lately, with Setoguchi in particular shaking off a cold start to the 2013 campaign by scoring six goals and 12 points in his last 11 games.
Detroit is expected to counter with goaltender Jimmy Howard, who has a 9-2-22 record, 1.96 GAA, and .917 save percentage in 13 career starts against Minnesota.
Both teams are on winning streak and this is one of those matches that could go either way. With the two teams so close in the standings, this might also end up serving as a first-round playoff preview.
Probable goaltenders: DET – Howard (12-7-4, 2.42 GAA, .917 SV%) | MIN – Niklas Backstrom (14-7-2, 2.34 GAA, .915 SV%)
Detroit – Forwards: Patrick Eaves (jaw), Mikael Samuelsson (finger), Todd Bertuzzi (back), Darren Helm (back) Defensemen: Kyle Quincey (face), Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder)
Minnesota – Forwards: Michael Rupp (lower body) Defensemen: Tom Gilbert (undisclosed) Goaltending: Josh Harding (symptoms related to multiple sclerosis)
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)