Mar 20, 2013, 8:04 AM EST
Throughout the season, NBCSN will feature the NHL’s fiercest rivalries on Wednesday nights. Tonight the Minnesota Wild will head to Joe Louis Arena for a match against the Detroit Red Wings at 7:30 p.m. ET.
The Red Wings looked like they had a shot in the Zach Parise and Ryan Suter sweepstakes last summer, but of course, that didn’t come to pass. Instead, a new era has started in Minnesota while Detroit struggles to keep its remarkable 21-season playoff streak alive.
Detroit hasn’t faded since Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement, nor have the Wild looked like Stanley Cup favorites just yet. Both franchises have demonstrated highs and lows this season, exposed areas of great concern and have made optimists out of many during other stretches.
As we start to power towards the end of the season though, both the Red Wings and the Wild are in the heart of the pack that will battle for everything from fourth to last place in the Western Conference. For Minnesota, there’s also a chance that they’ll come out on top in the relatively weak Northwest Division and secure the third seed.
The Red Wings’ greatest task tonight will likely be containing Suter and forward Devin Setoguchi. Both players have been superb lately, with Setoguchi in particular shaking off a cold start to the 2013 campaign by scoring six goals and 12 points in his last 11 games.
Detroit is expected to counter with goaltender Jimmy Howard, who has a 9-2-22 record, 1.96 GAA, and .917 save percentage in 13 career starts against Minnesota.
Both teams are on winning streak and this is one of those matches that could go either way. With the two teams so close in the standings, this might also end up serving as a first-round playoff preview.
Probable goaltenders: DET – Howard (12-7-4, 2.42 GAA, .917 SV%) | MIN – Niklas Backstrom (14-7-2, 2.34 GAA, .915 SV%)
Detroit – Forwards: Patrick Eaves (jaw), Mikael Samuelsson (finger), Todd Bertuzzi (back), Darren Helm (back) Defensemen: Kyle Quincey (face), Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder)
Minnesota – Forwards: Michael Rupp (lower body) Defensemen: Tom Gilbert (undisclosed) Goaltending: Josh Harding (symptoms related to multiple sclerosis)
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)