Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Can Red Wings’ Howard continue dominance of Wild?

Mar 20, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT

Jimmy Howard #35 of the Detroit Red Wings makes a third period save on Matt Cullen #7 of the Minnesota Wild at Joe Louis Arena on January 25, 2013 in Detroit, Michigan. Detroit won the game 5-3.
(January 24, 2013 - Source: Gregory Shamus/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

Throughout the season, NBCSN will feature the NHL’s fiercest rivalries on Wednesday nights. Tonight the Minnesota Wild will head to Joe Louis Arena for a match against the Detroit Red Wings at 7:30 p.m. ET.

The Red Wings looked like they had a shot in the Zach Parise and Ryan Suter sweepstakes last summer, but of course, that didn’t come to pass. Instead, a new era has started in Minnesota while Detroit struggles to keep its remarkable 21-season playoff streak alive.

Detroit hasn’t faded since Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement, nor have the Wild looked like Stanley Cup favorites just yet. Both franchises have demonstrated highs and lows this season, exposed areas of great concern and have made optimists out of many during other stretches.

As we start to power towards the end of the season though, both the Red Wings and the Wild are in the heart of the pack that will battle for everything from fourth to last place in the Western Conference. For Minnesota, there’s also a chance that they’ll come out on top in the relatively weak Northwest Division and secure the third seed.

The Red Wings’ greatest task tonight will likely be containing Suter and forward Devin Setoguchi. Both players have been superb lately, with Setoguchi in particular shaking off a cold start to the 2013 campaign by scoring six goals and 12 points in his last 11 games.

Detroit is expected to counter with goaltender Jimmy Howard, who has a 9-2-22 record, 1.96 GAA, and .917 save percentage in 13 career starts against Minnesota.

Both teams are on winning streak and this is one of those matches that could go either way. With the two teams so close in the standings, this might also end up serving as a first-round playoff preview.

Probable goaltenders: DET – Howard (12-7-4, 2.42 GAA, .917 SV%) | MIN – Niklas Backstrom (14-7-2, 2.34 GAA, .915 SV%)

Top scorers: DET – Pavel Datsyuk (9-21-30, 28 GP) and Henrik Zetterberg (8-22-30, 29 GP) | MIN – Mikko Koivu (6-17-23, 28 GP) and Suter (2-21-23, 28 GP)

Notable Injuries:
Detroit – Forwards: Patrick Eaves (jaw), Mikael Samuelsson (finger), Todd Bertuzzi (back), Darren Helm (back) Defensemen: Kyle Quincey (face), Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder)
Minnesota – Forwards: Michael Rupp (lower body) Defensemen: Tom Gilbert (undisclosed) Goaltending: Josh Harding (symptoms related to multiple sclerosis)

1. redwingsfan999 - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Minnesota vs Detroit? Where’s the rivalry?

• lostpuppysyndrome - Mar 20, 2013 at 9:23 AM

You know, that huge rivalry the Wild and Wings have due to zero meetups in the playoffs, and that one time Hasek exploded Gaborik on a potential breakaway.

• lordfletcher - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Mr. Brough

seeing as you may have the ability to email someone… time to tell the producers of these games that they are putting up pictures of players from last year roster numbers

tonight they showed konopka in the box with Matt Kassian’s face #28

and Kurtis Foster’s for Ryan Suter #20.

It makes me laugh that something like this could happen, HA! :)

2. youngs79 - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Geographical logistics and former rivals (North Stars) and future rivals (Realignment)

• lostpuppysyndrome - Mar 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Future rivals when? After they realign again in 3 years due to expansion in Markham and Quebec City?

3. danglesnipecelly24 - Mar 20, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Suter = Norris winner
    Backstrom= Vezina winner
    Bordin= Calder winner
    Parise= HART winner

• polegojim - Mar 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Red Wings = STANLEY CUP WINNERS

• lordfletcher - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Suter does has a chance of winning the Norris and brodin should start to enter the Calder race….. but everything else is a huge stretch. Especially the wings winning the cup…..

As for goalie dominance against the wild in previous years, bah. I’ve never really thought anyone has dominated the wild as much as the wild just sucked for the last 5 seasons.

• lordfletcher - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM

“all of that said, the wild are playing VERY well of late and I think they will win 4-2.” – lordfletcher

I am ready to take your applause ;)

• polegojim - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:02 AM

4-3 actually… but you get the credit!

Sucky rule… should have been reviewed and a goal.

But… by no means 200 million in domination. I’d take this Wings team in a year… over the Wild…

• lordfletcher - Mar 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Well, I never said domination but the game was 50/50. Wild too sloppy at times but cashed in when they had their chances…. yes that should have been reviewed and it should have been a goal but I consider it even due to the crap call with 30 seconds left that ended up giving the wings another goal. My opinion, the wild were never really threatened in the game, if Detroit did anything the wild would answer and score….

not sure why out keep bringing up the contracts of suter and parise, as if anyone here cares. Its not my money and I’m happier than hell they are here in Minnesota. I remember you telling me no chance we get suter (and parise) this summer because suter was going to Detroit… well my friend, I may be right a few more times than you :) and I would rather have this wild team and the next 10 years over any team that Detroit will have over the next decade. The wings are hurting more than you think amigo

best of luck

• polegojim - Mar 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Not you… another poster said the Wings were going to get their ‘butts kicked’.

I agree – that one was the Wild’s game… but even rebuilding, the Wings played it close and tough.

I was shocked at Wild getting both. I bring up the money because it’s relevant in the sense of ‘getting what you paid for’. Seriously – they better deliver.

I hope a tough rivalry develops for the next 10 years.

• clefty1 - Mar 20, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Suter is not and never has been in the Norris Tropphy race, even Kronwall is being brought up though I dont think he should be. As far as your other picks I cant stop laughing…

• spiciercheez - Mar 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Um why not? Not saying he will win it or anything but why wouldnt he be in the mix? Leads all skaters in ice time and second in points. He started off the year as a minus player but after shaking the rust off he has continued to get that number close to being +.

Oh yeah, and he has more points and a better +/- thank Kronwall as well as more ice time….

• spiciercheez - Mar 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM

second in points for D-men I should say ^

• danglesnipecelly24 - Mar 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I can’t stop laughing at you thinking I was being serious. The word starts with a “T” and ends with a roll.
        Wild win 5-2

• polegojim - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM

We don’t think you’re a troll dangle… but the rest of us are regular posters.

4. pariseinminnesotabichez - Mar 20, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Wild are about to kick the Wings ass

• polegojim - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:05 AM

The Wild stacked the deck and the Wings are absolutely in a rebuilding mode. I would SURELY think they should… but…

5-3 Red Wings win
      3-2 Wild win
      1:1 this season

The Wild have not shown the dominance expected, even with a much weaker Wings team.

In ANY event… I hope the Wild and Fans are not happy spending 200…200…200 MILLION… just to beat the Wings.

So far, at 16-10, that 200 mil hasn’t delivered the anticipated result… and they already had a strong team BEFORE that. Most would have expected them to be at Chicago, Montreal, Pittsburgh level at this point. They’re only 4 games better than the last place Avs.

• lordfletcher - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM

It takes a few games for a team to “gel”…. several rookies and two high profiled players…. they are now showing that they are for real. Look at their last 10 games or so…. wild are scoring on all lines, especially Cullen and seto and Suter has been the best defenseman in the league over the last 15 games. Wild fans are happy right now, much more than last year at this time in march.

• clefty1 - Mar 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM

The Wings are in a transition not a rebuild, if you want a team that is rebuilding look no further then Edmonton

• danglesnipecelly24 - Mar 20, 2013 at 1:22 PM

polegojim you’re an idiot

• ThatGuy - Mar 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Not my money. I could care less how much leopold spends as long as the team is winning. He could pay Cam Barker 200 million to sit in the press box and I wouldnt care as long as we win.

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Mar 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Edmonton rebuilding? They’ve been rebuilding for the better part of 5 years now. They are baseball’s version if the Kansas City Royals. Wait until next year… wait until next year… no seriously wait until next year… they are on the door step wait until next year…

• polegojim - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Sorry dangle… typically it’s adults who debate stuff like this here. My mistake.

Yes fletch… good point. We’ll see how it carries through.

• clefty1 - Mar 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Dream on………

• polegojim - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM

not even remotely ‘parise’

5. mclovinhockey - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM

There’s a better rivalry in this comments than the wings vs wild.

2 good teams, should be a fun game

6. gekkoguy82 - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM

A 9-2-22 record is….very interesting. Not sure that “good” is how I’d describe it! :-P (typo, I’m sure, but funny)

7. zetaone - Mar 20, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Blacked out on GCL.

So is the Blackhawks game.

Cool.

If this is how it’s going to be next year, why should I pay the NHL $160 for 20% of the games being blacked out because of capitalism?

8. mp1131211 - Mar 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Easy answer. No.

9. 1984tiger - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM

What is this? Lets make-up a “rivalry week”? NBC Sports can’t make-up one where isn’t one.

10. thehighcountrybear - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Forget the game…Wings by three?

Let’s talk about the Wild’s gawd awful ugly jerseys and crest. What, Arm and Hammer baking soda gave up the copyright?

Noooo, they couldn’t let the Senators have the ugliest crest, the Wild had to enter the sweepstakes…

Top 10 NHL Player Searches