Mar 20, 2013, 2:12 PM EDT
Today might’ve well been Groundhog Day, with Zack Boychuk playing the role of Bill Murray.
That’s because Boychuk was waived by the Nashville Predators on Wednesday, marking the third time this season he’s been placed on the waiver wire.
Boychuk, 23, started the year with Carolina before being placed on waivers, where he was scooped up by Pittsburgh.
The former WHL Lethbridge sniper spent about a month with the Penguins before he was waived for a second time, this time claimed by the offensively-starved Predators on Mar. 5.
Boychuk got off to a decent start with the Preds, scoring in his debut and chipping in with an assist two games later against Vancouver.
But it recently became apparent he wasn’t going to stick at the NHL level.
Last night, following a 4-3 loss to Columbus, head coach Barry Trotz cryptically alluded to “some guys [that] quite clearly can’t play at this level,” when speaking about his team.
Today, Trotz made it clear he was talking about Boychuk.
“I think Zach has a lot of ability, but we really just didn’t see enough bite in his game to go further right now,” Trotz explained. “He is a project, but I think in time he could play in the league if he makes some of the right adjustments in his game.”
Boychuk would clear waivers tomorrow if he’s not picked up by another team, at which point he’d be off to Nashville’s AHL affiliate in Milwaukee.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
“I’ve got a nice little scratch mark on my forehead from the claw marks.”
Jun 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
23-year-old defenseman had six goals in the playoffs.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:13 PM EDT
26-year-old made his NHL debut last season.
Jun 18, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
But will they stay?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
Could an NHL team one day call it home?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
As per TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
He’s still “day-to-day” with his injury.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
He’s been given permission to seek employment elsewhere.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
“We don’t care about calling certain guys superstars on our team,” said the coach.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Hey, he did take two weeks off.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
The Isles are one team that’s reportedly interested.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Former North Dakota standout was a 2009 Panthers draftee.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
The No. 2 overall pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft is ready to go.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
Former ‘Hawks assistant takes over the Caps’ minor-league team.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:22 PM EDT
They’ll suit up for AK Bars Kazan next season.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Detroit has its core players locked up.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
They’re just two wins away from their second championship in the last three seasons.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
They’ve agreed to a new partnership.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
Those aren’t the investors.
Jun 18, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
They don’t have a lot of cap room and might look at alternate means of creating space.
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 2
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 41
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 89
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 37
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 79
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL