Mar 20, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT
Florida forward Eric Selleck will have a disciplinary hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety on Wednesday, after this incident with Carolina’s Kevin Westgarth during the late stages of the Panthers’ 4-1 win last night:
The following grounds for potential supplemental discipline are being considered: leaving the players’ bench on a legal line change for the purpose of starting or joining an altercation (Rule 70.2).
In addition, Selleck was assessed a two-minute minor for instigating plus a five-minute major for fighting and game misconduct under Rule 46.12 (Instigator in Final Five Minutes of Regulation Time [or Anytime in Overtime]) and has received an automatic one-game suspension.
It seems as though Selleck — a 25-year-old undrafted free agent making his NHL debut — took it upon himself to address Westgarth’s rambunctious shift, during which he tangled with Panthers’ defenseman Tyson Strachan.
Bold decision, unfortunate result.
Of note, that was Selleck’s first fight at the NHL level, though he did scrap 16 times this season while playing for AHL San Antonio.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)