Mar 20, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT
Florida forward Eric Selleck will have a disciplinary hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety on Wednesday, after this incident with Carolina’s Kevin Westgarth during the late stages of the Panthers’ 4-1 win last night:
The following grounds for potential supplemental discipline are being considered: leaving the players’ bench on a legal line change for the purpose of starting or joining an altercation (Rule 70.2).
In addition, Selleck was assessed a two-minute minor for instigating plus a five-minute major for fighting and game misconduct under Rule 46.12 (Instigator in Final Five Minutes of Regulation Time [or Anytime in Overtime]) and has received an automatic one-game suspension.
It seems as though Selleck — a 25-year-old undrafted free agent making his NHL debut — took it upon himself to address Westgarth’s rambunctious shift, during which he tangled with Panthers’ defenseman Tyson Strachan.
Bold decision, unfortunate result.
Of note, that was Selleck’s first fight at the NHL level, though he did scrap 16 times this season while playing for AHL San Antonio.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)