Mar 20, 2013, 1:11 PM EST
Florida forward Eric Selleck will have a disciplinary hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety on Wednesday, after this incident with Carolina’s Kevin Westgarth during the late stages of the Panthers’ 4-1 win last night:
The following grounds for potential supplemental discipline are being considered: leaving the players’ bench on a legal line change for the purpose of starting or joining an altercation (Rule 70.2).
In addition, Selleck was assessed a two-minute minor for instigating plus a five-minute major for fighting and game misconduct under Rule 46.12 (Instigator in Final Five Minutes of Regulation Time [or Anytime in Overtime]) and has received an automatic one-game suspension.
It seems as though Selleck — a 25-year-old undrafted free agent making his NHL debut — took it upon himself to address Westgarth’s rambunctious shift, during which he tangled with Panthers’ defenseman Tyson Strachan.
Bold decision, unfortunate result.
Of note, that was Selleck’s first fight at the NHL level, though he did scrap 16 times this season while playing for AHL San Antonio.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 5
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 74
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 72
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 63
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 37
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 72
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (79)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (74)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)