Mar 20, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT
Florida forward Eric Selleck will have a disciplinary hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety on Wednesday, after this incident with Carolina’s Kevin Westgarth during the late stages of the Panthers’ 4-1 win last night:
The following grounds for potential supplemental discipline are being considered: leaving the players’ bench on a legal line change for the purpose of starting or joining an altercation (Rule 70.2).
In addition, Selleck was assessed a two-minute minor for instigating plus a five-minute major for fighting and game misconduct under Rule 46.12 (Instigator in Final Five Minutes of Regulation Time [or Anytime in Overtime]) and has received an automatic one-game suspension.
It seems as though Selleck — a 25-year-old undrafted free agent making his NHL debut — took it upon himself to address Westgarth’s rambunctious shift, during which he tangled with Panthers’ defenseman Tyson Strachan.
Bold decision, unfortunate result.
Of note, that was Selleck’s first fight at the NHL level, though he did scrap 16 times this season while playing for AHL San Antonio.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games