Mar 20, 2013, 1:27 PM EST
Earlier today, we had a commenter complain about our lack of Minnesota Wild coverage. Apparently, the team is doing quite well. And did you know Marian Gaborik doesn’t play for them anymore? We were so focused on the Penguins and Flyers we didn’t even notice.
So we’re going to throw all you Wild fans a bone by giving what the kids call a “shout out” to a player everyone should watch tonight when the first place team in the Northwest Division (Minnesota!) plays the Red Wings (on NBCSN!) in Detroit.
Brodin is Minnesota’s 19-year-old rookie defenseman from Sweden. The Wild drafted him 10th overall in 2011.
On Monday, Brodin played a whopping 27:19 in the Wild’s 3-1 victory in Vancouver. And just for good measure, he scored his second goal of the year on a sweet point shot.
As much attention as the Wild received for signing free agents Suter and Parise to big contracts, general manager Chuck Fletcher knows that drafting and developing is just as, if not more, important.
“In today’s day and age you have to develop your own talent,” said Fletcher, per NHL.com. “It’s just too hard to find top talent. I mean, we were fortunate to sign Parise and Suter, but you can’t expect to go into the market and get the top players every summer; it just doesn’t work that way — so you really have to draft well and you have to develop your own talent. In a salary-cap system you have to make sure you have good young players that can contribute playing every year. It’s just a necessity in the salary cap world.”
For more on Brodin, the Star Tribune did a story on him recently.
Now, if you’ll excuse us, we have to see if Sidney Crosby said anything.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)