Mar 20, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators have lost another key player to injury.
Stop us if you’ve heard this one before.
Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen reports Methot suffered an “apparent right leg injury” on the play, though the Senators were describing it as a lower-body injury following the game, without and specifics as to severity.
Normally we’d say losing Methot would be a crushing blow for the Sens — he averages 23:09 per game and leads all defensemen in hits — but the team has shown remarkable resilience following the loss of key players this season.
Methot’s defensive partner, Erik Karlsson, is gone for the year after suffering a lacerated Achilles.
Starting goalie Craig Anderson (ankle) hasn’t played since Feb. 21.
Last year’s leading scorer, Jason Spezza, has missed 25 games and last year’s leading goalscorer, Milan Michalek, has missed 15 with a knee problem (and will be out another month after undergoing surgery.)
Despite all this, the Sens are 16-8-6 this year, sitting fifth in the Eastern Conference, and are just five points back of Montreal for top spot in the Northeast Division.
As for Methot’s injury?
The Sens are going to take a wait-and-see approach.
“We’re going to take our time and evaluate the injury and we’ll have a time frame in further notice,” head coach Paul MacLean told the Ottawa Sun. “Leadership is character. Coming back in this league isn’t easy, but we find a way to do it.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)