Mar 20, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators have lost another key player to injury.
Stop us if you’ve heard this one before.
Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen reports Methot suffered an “apparent right leg injury” on the play, though the Senators were describing it as a lower-body injury following the game, without and specifics as to severity.
Normally we’d say losing Methot would be a crushing blow for the Sens — he averages 23:09 per game and leads all defensemen in hits — but the team has shown remarkable resilience following the loss of key players this season.
Methot’s defensive partner, Erik Karlsson, is gone for the year after suffering a lacerated Achilles.
Starting goalie Craig Anderson (ankle) hasn’t played since Feb. 21.
Last year’s leading scorer, Jason Spezza, has missed 25 games and last year’s leading goalscorer, Milan Michalek, has missed 15 with a knee problem (and will be out another month after undergoing surgery.)
Despite all this, the Sens are 16-8-6 this year, sitting fifth in the Eastern Conference, and are just five points back of Montreal for top spot in the Northeast Division.
As for Methot’s injury?
The Sens are going to take a wait-and-see approach.
“We’re going to take our time and evaluate the injury and we’ll have a time frame in further notice,” head coach Paul MacLean told the Ottawa Sun. “Leadership is character. Coming back in this league isn’t easy, but we find a way to do it.”
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (93)