Mar 20, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
Malone, 33, already missed 13 games this year with a lower-body injury and only just came off IR on Mar. 7.
The latest injury occurred during Monday’s win over Philadelphia, when Flyers forward Zac Rinaldo caught Malone with this hit seven minutes into the third period:
According to Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times, the club is still deciding if Malone can rehab the shoulder, or if surgery is required.
One would think the latter would all but end Malone’s campaign, given Tampa only has 19 games left in the regular season.
Malone has 5G-2A-7PTS in 16 games this season with the Lightning, and could be on the shelf long-term with captain Vincent Lecavalier, who has a broken foot.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)