Mar 20, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
Malone, 33, already missed 13 games this year with a lower-body injury and only just came off IR on Mar. 7.
The latest injury occurred during Monday’s win over Philadelphia, when Flyers forward Zac Rinaldo caught Malone with this hit seven minutes into the third period:
According to Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times, the club is still deciding if Malone can rehab the shoulder, or if surgery is required.
One would think the latter would all but end Malone’s campaign, given Tampa only has 19 games left in the regular season.
Malone has 5G-2A-7PTS in 16 games this season with the Lightning, and could be on the shelf long-term with captain Vincent Lecavalier, who has a broken foot.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32