Mar 20, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
According to TSN, Komisarek will either join a new NHL team, or should he remain unclaimed, report to the AHL Marlies.
Bet on the latter.
Then bet on a compliance buyout this offseason.
Komisarek has one year remaining on a contract that will pay him $3.5 million in 2013-14, with a cap hit of $4.5 million. He’s only played four games for the Leafs this season, registering no points and a plus-2 rating.
A tough, stay-at-home defenseman, Komisarek joined the Leafs in 2009 after an All-Star season with the Canadiens. At the time, he was heralded by new Toronto general manager Brian Burke for “his hard-nosed approach.”
Burke was intent on making the Leafs tougher to play against, but Komisarek never really found his footing and struggled to stay healthy.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)