Mar 20, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
According to TSN, Komisarek will either join a new NHL team, or should he remain unclaimed, report to the AHL Marlies.
Bet on the latter.
Then bet on a compliance buyout this offseason.
Komisarek has one year remaining on a contract that will pay him $3.5 million in 2013-14, with a cap hit of $4.5 million. He’s only played four games for the Leafs this season, registering no points and a plus-2 rating.
A tough, stay-at-home defenseman, Komisarek joined the Leafs in 2009 after an All-Star season with the Canadiens. At the time, he was heralded by new Toronto general manager Brian Burke for “his hard-nosed approach.”
Burke was intent on making the Leafs tougher to play against, but Komisarek never really found his footing and struggled to stay healthy.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)