Mar 20, 2013, 2:18 PM EST
Hoping to jar his team out of a four-game losing skid, Colorado coach Joe Sacco is making a couple of regulars healthy scratches tonight when the Avs host Dallas.
With just three goals in 28 games, Jones’ struggles have been particularly noteworthy. The 28-year-old — who happens to be in the first year of a four-year, $16 million contract — hasn’t registered a point in his last nine games.
Sacco said the club has been patient with Jones, but with the Avs sitting dead last in the Western Conference and six points out of a playoff spot, there’s only so much patience a coach can have with just 20 games left to turn it around.
“It’s a message to the team, too,” said Sacco. “It’s not good enough. We’ve lost four games in a row and we need to be better. As a team, we can’t wait around for guys to get their game. Hopefully it won’t be long-term, but we’ll see. It’s a good chance for Mark Olver to get back in the lineup. Every game he’s played, he’s played gritty, he plays with energy. It’s a chance for a guy like Cody McLeod to move up a little bit and get a little more ice time. Even a guy like Chuck [Kobasew], their numbers aren’t too far off [those of Jones and McGinn]. Let’s shake it up and see what we get.”
Jan 31, 2015, 2:48 PM EST
He has a degenerative back injury that might lead to career-ending surgery.
Jan 31, 2015, 1:56 PM EST
He gave up five goals against them on Jan. 10.
Jan 31, 2015, 12:57 PM EST
Meanwhile Philadelphia will try to win its fourth straight game.
Jan 31, 2015, 11:57 AM EST
They’ve surpassed the early season expectations.
Jan 31, 2015, 10:11 AM EST
But he seems very reluctant on the matter.
Jan 31, 2015, 9:24 AM EST
Is that what’s best for Carolina in the long term?
Jan 31, 2015, 2:00 AM EST
Anaheim has now lost two straight in regulation for the first time since November.
Jan 31, 2015, 1:15 AM EST
Sabres conclude January with an 0-12-0 record.
Jan 31, 2015, 12:15 AM EST
Shattenkirk had the shootout winner.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:35 PM EST
He’s now tied with Dino Ciccarelli on the all-time points list.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:00 PM EST
Kris Letang has assisted on Pittsburgh’s last seven goals.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:15 PM EST
Mark Hunter has also been a rumored replacement.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
He’s a restricted free agent after this season.
Jan 30, 2015, 8:45 PM EST
The 18-year-old is playing in his 3rd career AHL game tonight.
Jan 30, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Was 6-0-0 in his previous seven appearances entering tonight.
Jan 30, 2015, 7:05 PM EST
It could happen at the World Cup though.
Jan 30, 2015, 5:16 PM EST
“We would be thrilled to have them play at our venue.”
Jan 30, 2015, 4:24 PM EST
Ville Pokka is a fun name.
Jan 30, 2015, 3:57 PM EST
Spent last season in Buffalo.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 22
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5