Mar 20, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
The ballyhooed matchup between the NHL’s top two clubs will be without another important player.
‘Hawks head coach Joel Quenneville told reporters following the morning skate that Hossa is out with an upper-body injury and is considered day-to-day.
Dan Carcillo will take Hossa’s place in the lineup. Carcillo hasn’t played since a 6-5 loss to Edmonton on Mar. 10.
According to Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune, Hossa didn’t participate in the morning skate due to an upper-body injury suffered during Monday’s 5-2 win over Colorado.
Hossa suffered the injury during the first period of Monday’s game on a hit by Avs defenseman Ryan O’Byrne.
The 33-year-old left the contest and didn’t return, and the ‘Hawks were their usual tight-lipped selves when it came to discussing the injury.
“It’s not bad,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville told ESPN Chicago. “We’ll see.”
The Hossa injury situation has been a curious on this season.
Despite suffering a season-ending concussion in last year’s playoffs, Hossa was surprised to learn there are whispers of potential concussion-related issues whenever he misses a game with an upper-body injury.
(Whispers fueled by the fact Chicago never provides details about his ailment.)
“That’s what they’re saying?” Hossa said after missing a game with an upper-body injury on Mar. 6, per the Chicago Sun-Times. “I never thought about it.
“That’s news to me.”
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (80)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)