Mar 20, 2013, 3:27 PM EST
The ballyhooed matchup between the NHL’s top two clubs will be without another important player.
‘Hawks head coach Joel Quenneville told reporters following the morning skate that Hossa is out with an upper-body injury and is considered day-to-day.
Dan Carcillo will take Hossa’s place in the lineup. Carcillo hasn’t played since a 6-5 loss to Edmonton on Mar. 10.
According to Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune, Hossa didn’t participate in the morning skate due to an upper-body injury suffered during Monday’s 5-2 win over Colorado.
Hossa suffered the injury during the first period of Monday’s game on a hit by Avs defenseman Ryan O’Byrne.
The 33-year-old left the contest and didn’t return, and the ‘Hawks were their usual tight-lipped selves when it came to discussing the injury.
“It’s not bad,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville told ESPN Chicago. “We’ll see.”
The Hossa injury situation has been a curious on this season.
Despite suffering a season-ending concussion in last year’s playoffs, Hossa was surprised to learn there are whispers of potential concussion-related issues whenever he misses a game with an upper-body injury.
(Whispers fueled by the fact Chicago never provides details about his ailment.)
“That’s what they’re saying?” Hossa said after missing a game with an upper-body injury on Mar. 6, per the Chicago Sun-Times. “I never thought about it.
“That’s news to me.”
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 57
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 92
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (90)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)