Mar 20, 2013, 7:12 PM EDT
Some more news and notes to pass your way from Wednesday’s NHL general managers’ meetings in Toronto…
GMs have recommended to further reduce the size of goaltender equipment, according to NHL Director of Hockey Opreations Colin Campbell (courtesy ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun).
It should be noted this review will only pertain to specific pieces of equipment — leg and knee pads.
Kay Whitmore, the former NHL goalie who currently works in the league’s operations department (specifically with goalie equipment), first began implementing pad regulations in 2011, as seen in this video:
According to LeBrun, Whitmore says there are two recommendations on the table: 1) shortening height of goalie pads above the knee, and 2) make sure the knee pads are less bulky and more conforming.
The NHL confirmed this news via Twitter, saying goalie equipment recommendations would be put in front of the Competition Committee.
Here’s more, from the Canadian Press:
“Every little piece of goaltender equipment is now a project for a goalie to get bigger,” said Campbell.
Campbell said the instructions to Kay Whitmore, the NHL’s goalie guru, are “Do what you have to do within reason to make sure they’re still protected to reduce the stopping area.”
Current rules allows goalie pads to go 55 per cent of the way between your knee and your pelvis, says Whitmore.
“The feeling of the managers today was that that seems to be a little bit too generous and if we can find maybe a number that is a little lower that provides adequate protection then we’re willing to take a look at that,” said Whitmore.
High-sticking video review
Another proposal that sounds like it’s on its way to the Competition Committee: Video review of four-minute high-sticking calls, to determine who’s stick — an opponent’s, or a teammate’s — hit the player in question.
The high-sticking double minor (or, “extra two for bleeding”) results in a four-minute power play, which be a real momentum swinger, so it makes sense GMs want to ensure the calls are correct.
According to the NHL’s Twitter account, there were some discussions regarding certain aspects of the shootout:
For shootouts GM’s want heightened awareness on goaltender interference & ability to use video review to determine if puck stops.
— NHL (@NHL) March 20, 2013
It’s unclear if the video review idea will go to the Competition Committee.
Why? Because he was interfering with Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask and in the crease before the puck was.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
Dallas moves into the second wild card spot for now.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t happy about their game, either.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
And an interesting one overall for the East.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Another memorable save for the icon.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
That’s eight in a row for Pittsburgh between these two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The contest featured his former team the Saginaw Spirit.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The 20-year-old had been missing since March 3.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
On the bright side, there’s the Batmobile.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Pens have won seven in a row vs. Washington, including Monday.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Because there’s a really good chance they will.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Big development for the ‘Hawks.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Click for the details.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
“We played well in the first game, but then it all disappeared.”
Mar 11, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The sons of George and Brian, respectively.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Whether he does or not will impact the Flyers’ roster.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
A big defenseman from Lake Superior State.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Burly power forward’s in the midst of a disappointing season.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
“It’s great to have him around,” said Wild head coach Mike Yeo.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Dallas GM Jim Nill also released a statement.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 0
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 15
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)