Mar 20, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
Some more news and notes to pass your way from Wednesday’s NHL general managers’ meetings in Toronto…
GMs have recommended to further reduce the size of goaltender equipment, according to NHL Director of Hockey Opreations Colin Campbell (courtesy ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun).
It should be noted this review will only pertain to specific pieces of equipment — leg and knee pads.
Kay Whitmore, the former NHL goalie who currently works in the league’s operations department (specifically with goalie equipment), first began implementing pad regulations in 2011, as seen in this video:
According to LeBrun, Whitmore says there are two recommendations on the table: 1) shortening height of goalie pads above the knee, and 2) make sure the knee pads are less bulky and more conforming.
The NHL confirmed this news via Twitter, saying goalie equipment recommendations would be put in front of the Competition Committee.
Here’s more, from the Canadian Press:
“Every little piece of goaltender equipment is now a project for a goalie to get bigger,” said Campbell.
Campbell said the instructions to Kay Whitmore, the NHL’s goalie guru, are “Do what you have to do within reason to make sure they’re still protected to reduce the stopping area.”
Current rules allows goalie pads to go 55 per cent of the way between your knee and your pelvis, says Whitmore.
“The feeling of the managers today was that that seems to be a little bit too generous and if we can find maybe a number that is a little lower that provides adequate protection then we’re willing to take a look at that,” said Whitmore.
High-sticking video review
Another proposal that sounds like it’s on its way to the Competition Committee: Video review of four-minute high-sticking calls, to determine who’s stick — an opponent’s, or a teammate’s — hit the player in question.
The high-sticking double minor (or, “extra two for bleeding”) results in a four-minute power play, which be a real momentum swinger, so it makes sense GMs want to ensure the calls are correct.
According to the NHL’s Twitter account, there were some discussions regarding certain aspects of the shootout:
For shootouts GM’s want heightened awareness on goaltender interference & ability to use video review to determine if puck stops.
— NHL (@NHL) March 20, 2013
It’s unclear if the video review idea will go to the Competition Committee.
Why? Because he was interfering with Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask and in the crease before the puck was.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:19 AM EST
Patrick Marleau spoiled it.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
The Kings captain was suspended in April.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
Not slacking off following that contract extension.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
Toronto won 2-1 (SO).
Dec 19, 2013, 10:48 PM EST
His Goal of the Year entry …
Dec 19, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
They beat Calgary 3-2 in OT.
Dec 19, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
Mike Yeo on Minnesota: “We stunk.”
Dec 19, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
Maybe not an ideal trade-off.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
The Blue Jackets with a rare blown third period lead.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
Tough break for Z-Bad.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:50 PM EST
He might have suffered it blocking a shot.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:26 PM EST
It would be a sixth-rounder in 2014.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
Dec 19, 2013, 7:17 PM EST
Phoenix is still pretty banged up, though.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:46 PM EST
George McPhee’s also glad Brayden Schenn isn’t injured.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
He drew criticism for hitting Brayden Schenn Tuesday.
Dec 19, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 19, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Is there a lack of respect among players in the NHL?
Dec 19, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
USA versus Russia on Feb. 15 (7:30 a.m. ET, on NBCSN).
Dec 19, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
Weather forecast is looking good.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 16
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 28
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 53
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)