Mar 20, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
Selleck got an automatic one-game suspension for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of regulation (or anytime in overtime.) The NHL has tacked on another game for leaving the bench to fight.
The 25-year-old — who was making his NHL debut on Tuesday — was given a two-minute instigating minor, a five-minute fighting major, a game misconduct and the aforementioned one-game suspension for jumping onto the ice at 17:02 of the third period to do this:
In the video explanation, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan acknowledges Selleck made a legal line change, but had jumped onto the ice for the sole purpose of going after Westgarth.
“In spite of the fact Westgarth is at the end of his shift,” Shanahan explained, “Selleck gives him no choice but to engage in this fight.”
Shanahan also noted that Selleck “ignored the puck” and made a beeline straight for Westgarth.
As a result, Selleck will now miss Thursday’s game against the Rangers and Saturday’s game against the Devils, and will fork over $5,945.94 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 0
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 7
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 25
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 63
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control