Mar 20, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
Selleck got an automatic one-game suspension for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of regulation (or anytime in overtime.) The NHL has tacked on another game for leaving the bench to fight.
The 25-year-old — who was making his NHL debut on Tuesday — was given a two-minute instigating minor, a five-minute fighting major, a game misconduct and the aforementioned one-game suspension for jumping onto the ice at 17:02 of the third period to do this:
In the video explanation, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan acknowledges Selleck made a legal line change, but had jumped onto the ice for the sole purpose of going after Westgarth.
“In spite of the fact Westgarth is at the end of his shift,” Shanahan explained, “Selleck gives him no choice but to engage in this fight.”
Shanahan also noted that Selleck “ignored the puck” and made a beeline straight for Westgarth.
As a result, Selleck will now miss Thursday’s game against the Rangers and Saturday’s game against the Devils, and will fork over $5,945.94 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)