Mar 20, 2013, 3:51 PM EST
Selleck got an automatic one-game suspension for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of regulation (or anytime in overtime.) The NHL has tacked on another game for leaving the bench to fight.
The 25-year-old — who was making his NHL debut on Tuesday — was given a two-minute instigating minor, a five-minute fighting major, a game misconduct and the aforementioned one-game suspension for jumping onto the ice at 17:02 of the third period to do this:
In the video explanation, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan acknowledges Selleck made a legal line change, but had jumped onto the ice for the sole purpose of going after Westgarth.
“In spite of the fact Westgarth is at the end of his shift,” Shanahan explained, “Selleck gives him no choice but to engage in this fight.”
Shanahan also noted that Selleck “ignored the puck” and made a beeline straight for Westgarth.
As a result, Selleck will now miss Thursday’s game against the Rangers and Saturday’s game against the Devils, and will fork over $5,945.94 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 61
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)