Mar 20, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
Selleck got an automatic one-game suspension for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of regulation (or anytime in overtime.) The NHL has tacked on another game for leaving the bench to fight.
The 25-year-old — who was making his NHL debut on Tuesday — was given a two-minute instigating minor, a five-minute fighting major, a game misconduct and the aforementioned one-game suspension for jumping onto the ice at 17:02 of the third period to do this:
In the video explanation, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan acknowledges Selleck made a legal line change, but had jumped onto the ice for the sole purpose of going after Westgarth.
“In spite of the fact Westgarth is at the end of his shift,” Shanahan explained, “Selleck gives him no choice but to engage in this fight.”
Shanahan also noted that Selleck “ignored the puck” and made a beeline straight for Westgarth.
As a result, Selleck will now miss Thursday’s game against the Rangers and Saturday’s game against the Devils, and will fork over $5,945.94 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)