Mar 20, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
Selleck got an automatic one-game suspension for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of regulation (or anytime in overtime.) The NHL has tacked on another game for leaving the bench to fight.
The 25-year-old — who was making his NHL debut on Tuesday — was given a two-minute instigating minor, a five-minute fighting major, a game misconduct and the aforementioned one-game suspension for jumping onto the ice at 17:02 of the third period to do this:
In the video explanation, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan acknowledges Selleck made a legal line change, but had jumped onto the ice for the sole purpose of going after Westgarth.
“In spite of the fact Westgarth is at the end of his shift,” Shanahan explained, “Selleck gives him no choice but to engage in this fight.”
Shanahan also noted that Selleck “ignored the puck” and made a beeline straight for Westgarth.
As a result, Selleck will now miss Thursday’s game against the Rangers and Saturday’s game against the Devils, and will fork over $5,945.94 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 2
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 17
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)