Mar 20, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty has gotten very familiar with the Phoenix Coyotes.
The Kings beat them in the Western Conference Finals last year and the teams just played three games against each other in the span of a week.
All those matches seem to have given Doughty, 23, one major gripe against Phoenix.
“I think one is that they like to whine a lot,” Doughty told Mayor’s Manor. “At times they remind me of Vancouver with their complaining and stuff like that.”
As far as Doughty’s concerned, all teams complain, but he argues the Coyotes “seem to do it every night.”
“So that’s what frustrates you, and they play you hard, and they’re tough to play against,” Doughty said. “So that also is what bugs you.”
Winning has to be a good tonic for that, as is ending a prolonged scoring drought. Doughty netted his first goal of the season in the Kings 3-2 victory over Phoenix on Tuesday.
You can watch it below:
The Kings have now beaten the Coyotes in three of their four meetings so far this season. They will play each other again on April 2.
Los Angeles has risen to fourth in the Western Conference with a 17-10-2 record while the Coyotes have dropped four in a row and are in a three-way tie for eighth place.
But hey, it could be worse for the Coyotes. At least they finally scored a goal.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)