Mar 20, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty has gotten very familiar with the Phoenix Coyotes.
The Kings beat them in the Western Conference Finals last year and the teams just played three games against each other in the span of a week.
All those matches seem to have given Doughty, 23, one major gripe against Phoenix.
“I think one is that they like to whine a lot,” Doughty told Mayor’s Manor. “At times they remind me of Vancouver with their complaining and stuff like that.”
As far as Doughty’s concerned, all teams complain, but he argues the Coyotes “seem to do it every night.”
“So that’s what frustrates you, and they play you hard, and they’re tough to play against,” Doughty said. “So that also is what bugs you.”
Winning has to be a good tonic for that, as is ending a prolonged scoring drought. Doughty netted his first goal of the season in the Kings 3-2 victory over Phoenix on Tuesday.
You can watch it below:
The Kings have now beaten the Coyotes in three of their four meetings so far this season. They will play each other again on April 2.
Los Angeles has risen to fourth in the Western Conference with a 17-10-2 record while the Coyotes have dropped four in a row and are in a three-way tie for eighth place.
But hey, it could be worse for the Coyotes. At least they finally scored a goal.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17